Feeding and Nutrition :: How to feed the turtle Cuttlebone :(

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:02 pm   How to feed the turtle Cuttlebone :(

Hello, I read this from many people about feeding their turtle cuttlebone for extra calcium, so I decided to give it a try, but I'm not sure how to feed it to my turtle :oops: I took the a plastic knife and try to cut the white soft part, but it just falls apart and become like a powder....if anyone can tell me in detail, I will appreciate your help, thanks and sorry for the silly question :oops:

*I put like a tiny chunk in the water, but my turtle didn't seems to notice it, is it because I'm feeding it the wrong way?
RESCHIU

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:05 pm   

Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:05 pm   

i just leave chunks of it in my tank...they take an occasional nibble from them but dont eat it like food.
Father of 2 RES: hank & lily
mikedpirone

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:53 am   

I broke a piece off and then chipped the hard part off. When I put it in the water Petri went crazy and ate it.
fishandcandy

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:33 am   no luck for mine :(

Thanks, I tried what you all told me but my turtle just sniff at it :(
is there a way to make him becoming more interested in cuttlebone? such as put bigger piece? is it normal that some turtle might not interested in cuttlebone?
RESCHIU

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:57 am   

You might want to try to soak it in tuna water, though I suggest you just leave some in the tank and check on it later. Remember, cuttlebone should be considered as a supplement and a healthy and varied diet is more important.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:02 am   

just leave it floating in there...he will eventually start to take nibbles at it...atleast mine do...it also keeps mine from eating the new dock like they did to the old one they had.
mikedpirone

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:26 pm   

Some turtles do not care for cuttlebone, period. Keep trying, though. Get the scent of something he likes on it to make it more attractive. It may just take time for him get interested in it. It's not food, though, so don't expect the same interest in it.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:48 pm   

I thought mine hated cuttlebone (just like the ping pong balls)...but eventually he ate it and swam around with it in his mouth. Give it during feeding time (or before) so he knows that is what he needs to eat.

Even if he doesnt eat it, it will submerse in the water and get to him that way.
Turtle's name is "turtle"
sublime1008

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:09 pm   Success!

Thanks to everyone's reply, I saw my turtle took nibble at the cuttlebone in the tank, I was so excited :), but sometimes I'm just afraid my turtle might take a chunk that's too big and choke, it won't happen will it?

by the way, is anyone know a good and effective way to remove the hard backing from the cuttlebone? I was pilling it off for past two days and my nail nearly falls off :cry:
RESCHIU

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:46 pm   

you could try a knife just be careful not to cut yourself...also i found an effective way to make them love cuttlebone is to dip it in a little tuna water (the water that comes in the can of tuna). it drove both of mine crazy and they love it now.
mikedpirone

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:43 am   how to chip cuttlebone

The easiest way is to use a swiss army/fishing knife. If it is taking forever, just dig deeper.

In other words, sacrifice a portion of the nice part of the cuttlebone to ultimately remove the hard backing. Its much easier to cut through the white part and chip away and ur ultimately left with a sizeable portion.
Turtle's name is "turtle"
sublime1008

Return to Feeding and Nutrition