Equipment Review and Discussion :: ? for those who use stock tanks

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:43 pm   ? for those who use stock tanks

what kind of filters do you use? It seems like the lip on the top of the stock tubs would be to big to put a on. Since the filters are made to to over a aquarium that is thinner then the stock tubs.
bcarter

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:10 am   

I use one that sticks on the side, with suction cups.
tini

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:03 pm   

What kind of stock tank are you using and how big is it? I have one large stock tank that's currently being used with an Filstar XP3 canister filter--but I don't recommend it unless the stock tank is off the ground enough so that the canister is below it or you're willing to do a little modifying (and the canister will still be noiser that it would be normally and harder to prime). Aquaclear power filters don't fit well on Rubbermaid stock tanks, but will on some other kinds.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:53 pm   

I don't have one yet I am just seeing what I can do. are there any types of stock tanks i should stay away from? I seen one the tag said it was chemicaly nutrual, are there ones that are not safe to use? you know that may release chemicals into the water?
bcarter

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:33 pm   

Stock tanks are made for animals to drink out of, and I have never heard of any that would be unsafe for turtles (I had concerns about this as well before I started using them). If you're concerned about a particular brand you're interested in, however, you could contact the mfgr. of the one you're thinking of buying and ask.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:45 pm   

So what would be the best filter for a large rubbermaid tub/stock tank? By the sounds of it it's not the XP3
alehasfriends

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:15 pm   

Canister filters are meant to be below the water level in the tank (they work on gravity), so no, they're probably not the best choice for a stock tank. That said, some people do use them with stock tanks, me included (I bought the XP3 long before I got the stock tank and had been using it on a tank where the filter was on the floor below it initially). They can be made to work with some adjustments and keep the water clear, but they're still noisier than they would be if they had been below the tank and are harder to prime. A pond filter would be a good choice for a large stock tank.
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion