Equipment Review and Discussion :: Rena XP3 Blowing Air

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:36 pm   Re: Rena XP3 Blowing Air

o.k.. thanks everyone...
Into_the_Mystic

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:42 pm   Re: Rena XP3 Blowing Air

steve wrote:I'm not sure I completely understand what you're saying. The spray bar can be above the water.

I know you spent a lot of money but I think an XP3 in a 20 gallon tank or 10 gallons of water is excessive.
If the suction is pulling him towards it, then don't use it without a guard or a prefilter. Drownings from filters do happen to large and small turtles.

I will put the spray bar above the water then.. I thought it needed to be under water in order to have a "flow" going on.

I think there might be a flow valve to maybe slow the flow. Not sure though. I of course have the guard on the intake and he seems to have figured out how to hang on with his feet and sticks his head above the water.

I bought the XP3 because I plan on getting a larger tank of course in a couple years and it was suggested to me on the forum to invest in one now, verses having to buy a whole other filter at that time.

I worry about this little guy all the time about everything and now I am going to worry about him drowning... I am just trying to provide the best for him and I hope by buying this filter, I end up killing him :(
Into_the_Mystic

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:21 am   Re: Rena XP3 Blowing Air

Drowning can happen when the suction of the filter outweighs the tanks size - it sometimes is so strong that it drags them in (depending on their size of curse).
However, it sounds like you understand and have it under control.
I put my spray bar under water so I don't have to hear the water trickle, but it does no harm if it is above water either. As long as water is coming out.
As far as I have been able to tell, the flow regulator only works with the "power what-cha-ma-call-it" thing.
The outflow is not a big deal. Just hang out and see if the intake is stronger than him (envision a rip tide at the ocean that over powers you).
If it does, well there are make shift options.
I won't get into it now, but if you find the need, just holler!
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
penelope

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:26 am   Re: Rena XP3 Blowing Air

There is no flow valve on the XP3. There's a stop valve to stop water but that should only be used when the filter is off. There is a valve in the output nozzle, but that doesn't do much.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:40 pm   Re: Rena XP3 Blowing Air

So add a valve.

It shouldn't be hard to plumb in a gate valve on the output side of the filter. Most any hardware state should have a small valve of the correct diameter.

Remember to never restrict the intake side of the filter.... That could damage the pump. The valve would go on the output side.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:23 am   Re: Rena XP3 Blowing Air

There is a valve in the output nozzle, but that doesn't do much

Yeah. That's what I meant! Glad you helped clear that up.
I'm going back to lingo school :)
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
penelope

Previous

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion