Equipment Review and Discussion :: Rena XP3 Blowing Air

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:38 am   Rena XP3 Blowing Air

Hi all,

This is my first time ever setting up a canister filter. It was a bit confusing but I finally got it put together, primed and plugged in but i'm noticing now that every 5-10 minutes the spray bar is blowing bursts of air and bubbles. I cannot locate an air leak or a way that the air could be getting in and I have tried tilting the filter over several times. When I tilt it the filter lets out a TON of air bubbles and seems to be fine until 10-15 minutes later when it starts blowing air again. I'm a rookie and I honestly don't know what to do, i've heard of shutting off the filter for a few minutes but I didn't want to do that until I talked to you guys.

I think air may have been let into the filter as I was setting it up, once it was primed as I plugged it in I had forgotten to push the lever back down which I didnt realize for a minute or 2. The filter has only been set up and running since about 2am last night, it's almost 8 am now. I really hoping that once it runs for a couple days it will go away because i'm honestly afraid of having to take it apart. There are no air bubbles in the tubes, it all seems to be in the filter itself near the top by the propeller/motor. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Jinx

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:03 am   Re: Rena XP3 Blowing Air

All canister filters do this. It's just a little air stuck in the filter.
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
1 F Belize Slider 7" (Agamemnon)
My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/condorboy1/videos
Linus

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:57 am   Re: Rena XP3 Blowing Air

What should I do to get it out or will it naturally blow out on it's own after a few days? Should I keep tilting the filter?
Jinx

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:25 pm   Re: Rena XP3 Blowing Air

Nah, mine keeps blowing for months.
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
My Youtube Channel:
Linus

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:04 am   Re: Rena XP3 Blowing Air

It should stop with the bubbles, at least mine does. Check to see if the motor housing is properly sealed. Also, try shutting off the filter for a few minutes and let it settle a bit.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:58 am   Re: Rena XP3 Blowing Air

I'm crossing my fingers here but I think it seems to have stopped, it hasn't blown bubbles for a few hours now and is very quiet. Just incase it starts again, how do I shut off the filter? Do I just unplug it? Sorry if that's a dumb question but i'd rather ask than do something on my own that may cause damage.
Jinx

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:19 pm   Re: Rena XP3 Blowing Air

Yeah, just unplug it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:16 pm   Re: Rena XP3 Blowing Air

I set up my Rena XP3 last night.. Was up until 11:30 jacking with the damn thing... ahhhhh!!! (the flow fitting in the picture was not the same one I had in the box and it was frustrating the heck outta me = : >)

Everything seems to be working fine except when I woke up this morning, I saw a whole lot of tiny bubbles all over the place.. Is this normal?

Also, should I go get an air wand now? Not sure if this is a necessary tank requirement or not.
Into_the_Mystic

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:51 pm   Re: Rena XP3 Blowing Air

Was there a water change too?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:13 pm   Re: Rena XP3 Blowing Air

No water change.. Just hooked up the pump and plugged it in. I added some water to where the 20 gallon is about 1/2 full.. a little more water than I would like for Skimmer, but I wasn't sure if the sprayer could be above the water. From what I read, you have to have it under the water in order to get the flow thing going.

It's better this evening and Skimmer seems fine except for the water depth I think.. that and the suction kinda sucks to the intake when he is by it, but he manages to kick free. Should I do something to where it's not so strong for him?
Into_the_Mystic

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:51 pm   Re: Rena XP3 Blowing Air

I'm not sure I completely understand what you're saying. The spray bar can be above the water.

I know you spent a lot of money but I think an XP3 in a 20 gallon tank or 10 gallons of water is excessive.
If the suction is pulling him towards it, then don't use it without a guard or a prefilter. Drownings from filters do happen to large and small turtles.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:37 am   Re: Rena XP3 Blowing Air

Air in the hose.
Pain in the rear, but use that darn funnel thing and add water to the uptake until its full of water.
There is probably an air bubble somewhere (considering the pain-in-the-rear-factor, odds are it is at the bottom end of the hose)
I have spent many hours and weakened fingers getting the air out. Used to really tick me off!
Assuming there is slack, I find the air bubble and press the hose against the wall with my fist to force the air bubble up to the top and out. Once that was accomplished, no more "air bubbles" and life was good.
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
penelope

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:41 am   Re: Rena XP3 Blowing Air

PS - while not mentioned in the instructions, when I did a cleaning, I started filling the canister with water before hooking it up and plugging it in. It worked wonders...painless, in fact
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
penelope

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:34 am   Re: Rena XP3 Blowing Air

The canister motor doesn't pull water in, gravity from the siphon does that. So you just need water in the canister and the intake tubes. Or just the intake tubes, so it can prime the filter (if the canister has stop valves for this purpose which I think most or all do).
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:40 pm   Re: Rena XP3 Blowing Air

I don't now if this helps but with my FLUVAL and my XP3 I don't usually use the pumps unless need be. I get a bucket and fill the canister to the top before closing it. Then close it and start it up. Works great.
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
My Youtube Channel:
Linus

Next

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion