Equipment Review and Discussion :: Is it better to use filter floss for my xp3?

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:14 pm   Is it better to use filter floss for my xp3?

I've had my xp3 now for 5 years or so and have always used the same setup configuration that is recommended in the book. But I find that the filter's water flow gets extremely low after only a month because the filter gets so clogged up. I end up having to change it every month. Would replacing almost everything except some carbon stuff help keep the tank cleaner and the flow of water steady?

Thanks.
3 turtles,
3 cats,
& fish.
emma

Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:39 pm   Re: Is it better to use filter floss for my xp3?

Have you read the thread on filter media setup?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30145#p288911

Particularly the top which talks about why you would want to set things up differently for the bioload of a turtle? Although, the only real difference between the Xp3 guide and here is not using the micro filtration pad and putting the carbon first.

I don't own a Rena filter, so this is pure supposition. First, you don't want to change everything at once. If you do, you lose your beneficial bacteria. That said, I would guess the sponges are probably clogging up faster and are harder to clean. You might try changing out two each month over two months. That may get you some improvement. From what I've read, the ceramic biomedia should never need changing, but I've only had mine for nine months. Do you rinse that in aquarium water when you clean your filter?

If you do decide to change that, again, you want to stagger the changes.

EDIT: have you cleaned or replaced the hoses. Over five years, you may have quite the buildup in there, which is quickly gumming up the rest of the filter.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:47 pm   Re: Is it better to use filter floss for my xp3?

Yeah I always clean the hoses. And when I clean the filter I rinse out all the sponges and stuff and replace anything that is too gunked up.
3 turtles,
3 cats,
& fish.
emma

Post Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:58 am   Re: Is it better to use filter floss for my xp3?

I don't use filter floss for exactly that reason. It just clogs up too fast. Check out the link that ljapa posted, it is the recommended filter media setup for turtles.
Less sponges more biomedia. You can also try putting a pre-filter on the strainer of the intake. I've used the large sponges from Aqua clear 110 filters with a slit cut in them, then stuffed over the intake strainer. It will filter out the large particles before it gets sucked up in the filter, just remove it every week and rinse.

http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A623-AquaCl ... B0002563WC

I had to stop using them because my turtle started eating the foam and making a mess. You may have better luck.
devilduck

Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:02 pm   Re: Is it better to use filter floss for my xp3?

Cleaning the hoses can be a pain. Your local hardware store can sell you new tubing for a few cents per foot.

Filter floss is great for clearing water of particles (sand storm, you just cleaned your substrate...etc). Filter Floss is not a great long-term media option as it clogs fast as mentioned by ljapa and mr. duck.
VeipaCray

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion