Equipment Review and Discussion :: recommended filter for 75gal tank?

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:55 am   recommended filter for 75gal tank?

So I searched the forums, and it looks like the fluval fx5 and fx6 are recommended for 75 gal turtle tanks? I actually can't find the fx5 filter for sale anywhere, just the media. Did the fx5 get replaced by the g6? I'm wondering because it seems like the fx6 might be too much filtration for a 75 gal tank. It's rated at 538 US Gal/hr "filter circulation", and 925 US Gal/hr "pump output", so I'm thinking that it's still pretty close to the 538 gal/hr whenever the media is in the filter. Right now the tank is about 50-75% full, but I'm planning on making a simple ATBA in the near future, and filling the tank 100%.

The tank is for 1 full-grown male RES :mrgreen: I may add sand to the bottom at some point, but right now it's bare at the bottom. Also, I feed in-tank, don't have a separate container.
I just want to make sure that it's ok before forking out $350! And what happened to the fx5?? It seems odd that fluval doesn't have anything between the 406 (for 100gal) and the fx6 (for 400gal) ... except the g6 which seems to have less-than-great reviews.
emilybean

Post Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:11 pm   Re: recommended filter for 75gal tank?

The FX6 does replace the FX5. A lot of people do use with 75 gallon tanks. I always like to make a recommendation and make your own inlet pipe out of PVC with holes drilled into it. Alternatively, the 406 or similar Eheim models should be able to do the trick as well.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:36 pm   Re: recommended filter for 75gal tank?

Great, thanks! I ordered the fx6 filter today. I was a little confused about what all it comes with... someone on Amazon said it didn't come with any bio media. I guess I can reuse the bio media from my eheim filter.
emilybean

Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:30 am   Re: recommended filter for 75gal tank?

It would actually be better to reuse old bio media. Congrats on the purchase, it's a beast of a filter!
steve
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion