Equipment Review and Discussion :: Another mega ray question

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:40 pm   Re: Another mega ray question

Well, not according to Bob. "not basking bulb" I think its probably the best uvb bulb on the market but not a stand alone basking bulb. I also read this on their website "You should have supplemental lighting to bring the LUX up to that found in nature" Bulbs used to accomplish this are 5000-6500k or halogen.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:59 am   Re: Another mega ray question

That partially defeats the purpose of an MVB.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:07 pm   Re: Another mega ray question

What did I learn about this bulb? Well its not a stand alone basking bulb and is not marketed as such. Its an uvb bulb and you should probably be useing the 100 watt version unless you have a large inclosure.You will probably need some sort of uva/heat bulb to use in conjunction with the Megaray. And this information came from the Developer of the Megaray. The Murcury vapor bulb is not designed as a stand alone bulb. The murcury vapor bulb was built and designed for maximum UVB output. At least that's my conclusion.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:38 am   Re: Another mega ray question

I wonder if the other MVBs have similar heat output. Interesting to note, they also have a 70 Watt MVB. If this is the norm, then perhaps there heat output information should be included as well but I would have thought the wattage was a good indicator of heat produced. I'm curious, but would a multimeter be able to confirm that this is a 100 Watt bulb?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:57 am   Re: Another mega ray question

I also seen they have the 70 w model. I would imagine it would have to be real close to the basking area so I'm not sure why they even sell it? I'm not sure about testing it but the bulb does say its a 100w. I guess if my turtles are now getting the proper uvb then I'm happy with my purchase. I just want everyone to know you also need a heat source. Incandecent, hologen etc. At least that's the case with the 100w model. I assume the 150 would provide more heat but Bob told me not to use that bulb. Its meant for larger inclosures. For large lizards etc. I'm guessing its uvb output is greater than turtles need on their basking area.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:32 am   Re: Another mega ray question

If you've had those discussions, does he understand the size of your enclosure, or the size that an adult Female RES can get?
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:38 am   Re: Another mega ray question

Sent him a picture of my tank and told him I had 4 turtles. When I asked if I should use the 150w bulb to increase basking temp he said "No" That I should use a halogen bulb.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:01 pm   Re: Another mega ray question

Hi, I know this is an older thread but I'd like to add my 2 cents, if it is ok. There is no such thing as a standalone bulb. For correct lighting we need multiple bulbs. On Toku's tank I run one Mega-Ray 100w bulb. I also run daylight lamps that are T5 HOs. The reason for this is the MVB produces the UVB for the basking area with the heat. I like the Mega-Ray because it doesn't produce high heat. This allows the bulb to be closer for higher UV rays. Currently the basking log is 12 in. from the bottom of the bulb to the top of the basking log. The highest temp is 94.7 degrees F. The average in the basking zone is 90 degrees F. My Mega-Ray also produces the green tint. In fact, all my Mega-Ray bulbs have produced the green tint. My lighting is based on the concept of needing more than one bulb. This is due to the fact that the glass that produces UVB doesn't produce high LUX. Look at all UVB bulbs the LUX is low. This is why I added the daylight bulbs. They don't produce UVB but they produce the LUX to let Toku see. Plus the UVA is high and that really lets him see! I have studied lighting and had lengthy discussions with Bob, Frances, and Andy about lighting. We all agree that multiple bulbs is required to provide the best lighting in the light spectrum. The reason the Mega-Ray is marketed as a none standalone MVB is because Bob doesn't care about selling bulbs without people understanding that other light is required. The beauty of the Mega-Ray is it already combines the Heat and UVB now all I needed was to add the bright lights to give the required LUX and UVA for Toku to see like he would in the wild on a July summer day in North America. If you look at the pics I posted today of him basking in the Photo Gallery you will notice how bright the basking area is. That also transfers to the water. It lights up the whole room! But I also realize how expensive it is to provide the lighting that I have and without the MVB I would need another bulb is addition to my setup which is a bit on the high price and the additional bulb would make that even higher. I feel it is absolutely mandatory to have multiple lights to provide the best lighting. I hope this helps without getting too technical in the lighting requirements.
http://www.photobucket.com/Toku
Toku's build thread, click link below;
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34068
2 Male Rio Grande RES
1 Spiny Softshell

"Live Life"
slider_keeper

Post Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:19 pm   Re: Another mega ray question

Thank you for your input. I got it after talking with bob. What I still don't understand is why my bulb puts off green light and others don't? I get the whole light spectrum thing. I get it now that is. Earlier in my thread I say you need 2 bulbs. Thanks.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:26 pm   Re: Another mega ray question

Yeah, my bulbs produce the green tint. I believe has to do with the glass used on the Mega-Ray. It doesn't have any affect on Toku, as far as I can see or have observed. I personally wouldn't worry above the tint, especially if you are using brighter daylight bulbs.
2 Male Rio Grande RES
1 Spiny Softshell

"Live Life"
slider_keeper

Post Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:02 pm   Re: Another mega ray question

Thanks for letting me know your bulb also has the green. I'm sure they are the best I can do for my turtles . Other than sun.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:41 am   Re: Another mega ray question

Please let me know what you find out Kansasslider. I'm due for a new MVB soon and was looking at the exact same 100W MegaRay. Awesome rescue... congrats!
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:59 pm   Re: Another mega ray question

I would not hesitate buying a mega-ray.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:54 pm   Re: Another mega ray question

I agree I really like the health of Toku and Boba with the Mega-Ray.
2 Male Rio Grande RES
1 Spiny Softshell

"Live Life"
slider_keeper

Previous

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion