Equipment Review and Discussion :: Aquaclear Powerheads

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:29 am   Aquaclear Powerheads

Is the aquaclear powerhead like a filter? Could it replace a real filter? I've seen these at local pet shop aquariums and it looks like it does a mighty fine job at keeping the tank crystal clear.
x3shift

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:19 pm   

I think a powderhead basically moves the water to improve circulation, but doesn't in itself filter it. They're often used with undergravel filters. If you used it in conjunction with some kind of filtering device, it would filter the water. A "real" filter would have media that provides for at least mechanical filtration, and (good) canister filters additionally have ample room for biomedia and optional chemical media.

If you're interested specifically in the Aquaclear, I'd just get the filter.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:13 pm   

i have an eheim 2213 and it kinda sucks in a 55 gallon tank. so i think ill just switch to an emperor 400 power filter. heard it was pretty good. 400gph flow rate. btw, flow rate is equivalent to turn over right?
x3shift

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:16 pm   

Yes. But with a 55-gallon tank, have you considered a canister filter rather than a power filter like the Emperor? If you're Eheim is a canister (I'm not familiar with that model), perhaps a canister that's rated for a larger tank?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:27 pm   

actually, the eheim 2213 is rated for a 55 gallon tank. but the turn over is just horrible. so i might get an xp3, but its a lil expensive.
x3shift

Post Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:56 pm   

But it would be worth it. :)
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion