Feeding and Nutrition :: fruits and veggies...

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:17 am   fruits and veggies...

I just learned from reading here yesterday that my turtles need veggies everyday and the occasional fruit. :oops: So, the only thing I had in my house yesterday was romaine lettuce (which they loved) and yellow bell peppers and cilantro. Can RES eat bell peppers, cilantro etc.? I didn't see either one listed on "what to feed" and "what not to feed" stickies. Is there any way the list can be extended or is there a general rule that can be applied when choosing veggies and fruit? TIA!
Giant - 1.5
Gary - 1.0
seachelle

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:57 am   

I'm not sure about the cilantro but all my turts love red, green, yellow and orange peppers.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:35 pm   

I think I'd skip the cilantro. Peppers are OK, and the red ones contain a good amount of beta carotene. They are fairly high in sugar, though.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:26 am   

Thank you. Yeah, they don't like the cilantro anyway. The peppers they ate though. From reading about how hard it is to get them to eat their veggies, I'm rather proud of mine because they seem to love veggies. One more question though, if the peppers are high in sugar should they be occasional like the fruit, or no? Gosh, I never thought taking care of these guys would be so complicated. Not that I'm complaining, I adore the little guys. Its just that I wasn't expecting to own two turtles. Pets should never be bought for people unexpectedly. Lucky that this gift worked out well.
Giant - 1.5
Gary - 1.0
seachelle

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:33 pm   

I feed red peppers more often than fruit, but much less than leafy greens like dandelions, red-leaf lettuce, chicory, etc.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:28 pm   

Has anyone tried sea weed? I bought some at the pet store the other day and he likes it. I can't get him to eat leaf lettuce. but he likes the sea weed.
3 RES CLYDETTE, MINI ME, AND POPCORN
CARISUE71

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:32 am   

I don't know anything about seaweed, but kelp should be OK to use in small amounts.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:43 pm   about cilantro

I'm not sure if this applies to turtle or not but I heard that raw cilantro sometimes give human worms, so I don't know if it would give turtle worms or not by feeding uncleaned one, so if you make sure it's clean, it should be ok :)....anyway, just something I heard...
RESCHIU

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:26 pm   hey

Tnx for making another food suggestion.I gave Vien red bell peppers the other day,and she loved it.
vieniebebe

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:42 pm   

Kelp is an ingredient in some turtle foods, and can be used to increase the iodine content in a diet that's lacking it, but I'd only use it as part of the overall diet, and not feed it like lettuce.
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Feeding and Nutrition