Other Turtle Discussion :: Why is humanity's solution to kill it?

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:53 pm   Why is humanity's solution to kill it?

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/nature/p ... in-oregon/

This fascinating being could have lived at a sanctuary or zoo, or heck he could even have come lived here. Why did they have to kill him? He most likely started out as some irresponsible person's pet....he should not have had his life taken. I am constantly shocked at mankind's arrogance. We throw away the spark of life as though it is garbage. Most days I feel ashamed to be human and feel far more kinship with my pets. I cannot make sense out of human behavior....I just don't get it.

And for the record I am highly aware of the habitat issues they discuss in the article. This is the reason I have Rain. I took her in out of the 50 degree pond some nasty teenagers threw her into to likely save her life but also to protect the lives of others who lived in that pond. The habitat concerns involved do not justify taking this beings life. Its not ok. Its sick. And its considered normal among humans. There are better solutions than killing every inconvenient life humanity encounters.
puppylovejewelry

Post Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:53 pm   Re: Why is humanity's solution to kill it?

I saw this on fb this morning. Idk why they didnt offer her to the public first. See if any one would be willing to take her in.
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
Diamondbacks4Life

Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:33 am   Re: Why is humanity's solution to kill it?

People never cease to amaze me. They had a ton of options but chose to kill it. Go figure !
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:39 pm   Re: Why is humanity's solution to kill it?

Oooh, this kind of thing makes me mad, too. Why can't it be sent to the SE US where it's endangered???

They didn't take one of their other options because they didn't bother to think them through. Humans have the attitude that other animals are dispensable 'goods' that they can use if they wish or get rid of if they wish. It'll take a long time to alter that attitude, but I can't believe that they're talking about how they're killing it as if that's justified. If they have a problem with the species, they should responsibly solve it, not kill the individuals.
Green Mango

Post Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:35 am   Re: Why is humanity's solution to kill it?

I agree everyone. It was also very disturbing to me to see the comments on that yahoo story. Most people were mocking the few voices who cried out to say how unethical the killing was. Ghandi was so right ("The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.") We are not a great nation. We are not a great species. We have a lot of self improvement work ahead of us yet as a collective.
puppylovejewelry

Post Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:32 pm   Re: Why is humanity's solution to kill it?

I think I am most bothered by how happy that guy looks holding the turtle before they euthanized it. Poor thing.
Electrical Engineer, animal lover, video game nerd.
1 RES - Mr. Tesla
ElectricTurtle

Return to Other Turtle Discussion