Habitat - Indoor :: Best method for water in aquatic tanks

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:13 pm   Best method for water in aquatic tanks

We (SO and I) have two ~2" Red Eared Sliders that I recently moved from a plastic storage bin to a proper 20 gallon tank. Previously we didn't have a filter, we just dumped out the water and scrubbed the sides when it started getting murky. With the new tank though, the weight of it makes that a lot less convenient. I have a filter on the way, but I know that regularly changing water is still required.

What's the best way to change the tank's water? With your setup, do you ever actually move the tank to dump it out, or do you do everything with a siphon, for example?

The other problem is that I don't currently have any furniture to put the tank on. I know that siphons tend to need to have the tank elevated above the water receptacle in order to work, so that's a problem. In getting furniture to put it on, should I get something with wheels so that I can easily move the tank back and forth between the bathtub (I live in an apartment) for the purpose of emptying it?
Mimyr

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:26 am   Re: Best method for water in aquatic tanks

Never move a tank unless completely empty -- water, decorations, turtles.... none should in a tank that is being moved. You have a small tank, so that will require more water changes. Larger tanks have more water and better filtration, so they actually require less maintenance. I use a small pump to drain the tank... a siphon works but is slow and I have two tanks (a 90 gallon and a 125) to clean up. Then I use the same tubing to refill the tank.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:16 am   Re: Best method for water in aquatic tanks

steve wrote:Never move a tank unless completely empty -- water, decorations, turtles.... none should in a tank that is being moved. You have a small tank, so that will require more water changes. Larger tanks have more water and better filtration, so they actually require less maintenance. I use a small pump to drain the tank... a siphon works but is slow and I have two tanks (a 90 gallon and a 125) to clean up. Then I use the same tubing to refill the tank.

OK, thanks. Yeah, I live in an apartment right now so have limited space at the moment for larger tanks, although I realize it'll be necessary once they get bigger.

When you say a pump, do you mean something like this? https://www.chewy.com/python-no-spill-c ... /dp/133615 I've been looking at those, and it seems like it should be something that can be built by oneself for less money.

Edit: Ah, I see you're talking about something with a motor. Do you have any recommendations? Would something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LQBCYM/re ... UTF8&psc=1 work to completely drain the tank?
Mimyr

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:15 pm   Re: Best method for water in aquatic tanks

Technically, by most guidelines the tank is already too small for them so you are looking at an uphill battle. Pythons are good kits, I had one myself. However, there is nothing special about it. You can get clear vinyl tubing at a local hardware store and the part that creates the siphon you can find for about $7 (if you search for "Waterbed Fill and Drain" kits). With a small pump, you won't need that kit... the one you linked looks like it will work. The one I'm currently using is a Marineland Maxi-Jet.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor