Other Turtle Discussion :: So Very Sad...

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:06 pm   So Very Sad...

Well, I've just come back from a veterinary clinic where I just brought my first wild painted turtle of the year, unfortunately to be euthanized, I was told. A woman had stopped her car a little ways up the road from the house and when I went to see what the problems was, I saw her holding a black rock and I just knew. Someone had hit the poor thing--the area above the left rear leg was totally crushed and separated from the body, although amazingly the turtle could move her leg. I hoped against hope that they would say they would try to save her, but the rehabber said it was really bad and that a lot of organs were involved. I broke down. My head tells me I did the right thing, but doubt still nags at my heart.

I couldn't have treated her, and was at the mercy of their judgement. This happened last year as well, and I was so hoping to get through the summer without this hearbreak again. :(
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:13 pm   

Sorry to hear that... at least something was done for her.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:41 pm   

Its better that it went like that than be left to suffer along the road. I think you made the right choice.
Dylan ~17~, Brianna~14~ Ethan ~10~ Ava ~4~
flutterby

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:39 pm   

I'm all for doing the humane thing, but it still rather sucks to have to do it at all. Poor thing is lucky you happened along.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:44 pm   

Thanks. Yes, sometimes life sucks. I spent a fair amount of the day looking up the road to see if there were any "rocks" in the road. The way people speed around here, the poor animals don't stand a chance. :cry:
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:29 pm   

Marisa,

you are a hero. You put that turtle out of its misery and pain. It is always sad when any animal dies, but you did the right thing. The humane thing. I would have done the same thing. Glad to know that htere are people like you still in this world.

Amy
a.k.a. virginturtlemom now known as tralfaz
tralfaz

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:01 pm   

Thanks. :(
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:26 pm   

Sorry to hear that Marisa, but you did the right thing.
TexasJagsFan

Return to Other Turtle Discussion