General Care Discussion :: Weiss organic magic algae

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:12 pm   Weiss organic magic algae

I was wondering if anyone has tried this algae cleaner? Since its organic I assume it won't harm the turts? I asked the company and they said was tested for them but it shouldn't harm them. Thanks in advice.
2TURTLES2

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:17 am   Re: Weiss organic magic algae

The company and product doesn't have good reputations. I'd skip it and save your money.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:30 am   Re: Weiss organic magic algae

thanks for the reply. i already bought the product hoping it would work. do you think it will be save for them or should i remove them for the 3 days of threatment ? can you suggest another treatment for the algae.

thanks
2TURTLES2

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:54 am   Re: Weiss organic magic algae

You couldn't pay me to put that in my tank. Here's our educational thread on Algae: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28813

None of this exists in a RES' natural freshwater habitat:

INGREDIENTS:
Vitamins: B-complex, Beta-Carotene, C, Cyanobalamine, D, Folic Acid, Iodine, K, Niacin, Pyridoxin, Retinol, Riboflavin, Thiamin, Tocopherol
Minerals: Ca, Cl, Cr, Cu, Fe, K, Mg, Mn, Na, P, S, Se, Si, Zn
Derived from ferment of: Acacia Gum, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera), Asparagus Officinalus (Asparagus), Camellia Sinesis (Green Tea), Citic Acid, Citrus Molasses, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber), Curcurbita (Squash), Daucus Carota (Carrot), Ipmoea Batatas (Sweet Potato), Lycoperscion (Tomato), Sea-Vegetables, Triticum (wheat) plus added to the ferment are the micro aggregates of Oolite, Volcanic, and Hematite

This sounds more like a marine product than freshwater:

Algae MagicTM when added to your tank will fortify your plants' leaf structure. The by-product of this effect enhances oxygenation within the tank and adds an additional food source for animal life. As the plants and microscopic creatures respond to the enhanced environment, the tank naturally clears of visible wastes and nuisance algae – creating an awesome view.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:23 pm   Re: Weiss organic magic algae

thanks for the reply VeipaCray...i guess you go with the RO system?
2TURTLES2

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:38 pm   Re: Weiss organic magic algae

I've used to RO + RO right... worked well. I use RO for my reef tank (you kindof have to).

I don't use anything at the moment to control algae in my turtle tank other than really good filtration. Today I split a line off the pre-filters (sediment and carbon) in my RO system... Cold tap water passes through sediment and carbon filtration (removes deposits, minerals and chlorine/chloramine) then hits a T where I can use it to fill my turtle tank. I stopped using the RO/DI water as it was too soft and too much of a PITA to keep mixing RO right.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:57 pm   Re: Weiss organic magic algae

thanks again.
algae is not that bad since i decided to only turn the uvb only three times a week during the morning...never at night anymore. i'll think about doing RO system but the wife will be a PITA about anything i add and the weiss algae bottles i bought. you can't get it in Canada.
i have the PH pads but its only good for so long and don't want to keep switching...the Map turtle always freaks, RES is cool...likes to check things out....
2TURTLES2

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:44 pm   Re: Weiss organic magic algae

If you are looking for a cheap RO system... purewaterclub.com is where I got mine. That's about as cheap as you can find for a RO system. One brand of RO unit isn't really any better or worse than another outside of things like warranty or technical support. The end result is they all produce 0 TDS water.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:10 pm   Re: Weiss organic magic algae

ok, thanks. i will have a look...mind if i ask which one you purchased. thanks again
2TURTLES2

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:33 pm   Re: Weiss organic magic algae

I got the 6 stage RO/DI as I'm using it primarily for my reef tank. In this order... sediment filter, carbon filter, sediment filter, RO membrane, DI, DI. It was on sale for like $89USD one day.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:41 pm   Re: Weiss organic magic algae

WOW, ok thanks
2TURTLES2

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:01 pm   Re: Weiss organic magic algae

So I have this one... but it was on sale. There's internet coupons available for this website if you search around.

http://www.purewaterclub.com/catalog/pr ... cts_id=323
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:09 pm   Re: Weiss organic magic algae

wow, thats a nice one
2TURTLES2

Return to General Care Discussion