Photo Gallery :: Tales from Stinky's Pond.....

The place to post your photos and pictures.
Winter Photo Contest Winner :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:18 pm   Tales from Stinky's Pond.....

Now that the season is winding down, just about every morning I go down to Stinky's pond and share a banana with my favorite snapper.
This morning I wanted to try something different. I know there are at least 20 young Eastern Painted turts in that pond, but they are very shy, so I thought I'd bring a bag of pellets out and see if I could lure them out for some pictures.

Image

Checklist:
One banana (Stinky)
One bag of pellets (Eastern Painteds)
One coffee (me) :)

Image

So I throw a handful of pellets out, and guess who shows up? Everybody say, "Hi, Stinky!"

Image

But he swam right past the pellets, looking for his half of the banana.

Image

All of a sudden, Stinky had company! Three more turts popped up.

Image

And then four more! In all I had eight snappers cruising under my feet.

Image

Here's three youngsters:

Image

I think they were a little bewildered by these strange, tiny morsels. If they were golf ball-sized they may have been a little more excited.

Image

They would casually sniff at them, then just sort of inhale them...

Image

Here's one with a severely damaged shell. The water was a little murky this morning, so it was hard to tell, but it looked like it healed over, and although his leg looked a little crooked, he seemed to have full use of it.

Image
Image
Image

Anyhow, the main reason I brought the pellets out was to try to get the Painteds to show themselves. See the little black spots in the water? Those are little Eastern Painted turtle heads. They just stood there, staring at me.

Image

Except for this one. He's a male, about 5".

Image

He would slowly move closer and closer to the pellets, never taking his eyes off of me....

Image
Image

However, once he got a taste of the pellets.......

Image

.....there was no stopping him! He lost all fear of me and the Snappers.

Image

He also has a small defect on the right side of his shell.

Image
Image

But it didn't slow him down. He was paddling like mad, trying to grab as many pellets as he could!

Image

Now here's where it gets interesting. He moves into where the snappers are congregating.....

Image

Quickly swimming from pellet to pellet.

Image

Face to face with one of the "Big Boys"!

Image

In this shot, he literally climbed over the top of a HUGE female!

Image

This pic really doesn't do her justice, but that female is the largest I've ever seen! Her SCL is at least 15-16"!

Image

Instead of pausing to stare at me, he should be looking over his shoulder....

Image

Not to worry, he just got slapped in the puss as that snapper swam by.....

Image

Here he is getting real close to that big female again....

Image

In this shot he swam right under her chin! She could have easily bit him in half!

Image

Then he tries to hitch a ride on her back!

Image

Another handful of pellets, and he is on it.....

Image

He must be thinking he's one of the "Big Boys". After I took this shot, he disappeared for what seemed like a very long time. I began to to worry about him......Maybe his luck had finally run out.

Image

When all of a sudden, right under my feet, up from the bottom rose that giant female, with that crazy little Painted riding on her back! Unbelievable!

Image

I got to come up with a name for this plucky little guy....any suggestions????

Image
"Make it turtle proof, and they'll build a better turtle."
User avatar
grey goose
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Jul 12, 2006

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:26 pm   

LOL! I just had to laugh out loud when I saw that picture of painted heads!!!!

I love the pictures!!! I sure wish I had a pond like that somewhere...
How many turtles are in there?
2 Chinese Goldenthread turtles ~ Miso&Mafan
1 Chinese Box turtle ~ Chief Lemon
2 Redfoot Tortoises ~ Sheegua & Muugua
1 Toy Poodle ~ Pudding
3 firebellied newts ~ Cassandra, Mr.Poo, and Wiggles.

http://flickr.com/photos/the_naturalist
User avatar
Tenodera
 
Posts: 2886
Joined: Mar 5, 2007
Location: Taichung, Taiwan

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:30 pm   

Grey Goose~ that was so great to read and look at. How amazing! Thank you for sharing!
My babies:
* Desdemona: 15+ y/o cat
2 RES: Molly and Lucky McButterPants
RIP wherever you are Chance McButterPants
* Keeper: Nikki :)
sleepygrl79
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Jun 27, 2007
Location: San Jose, CA

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:31 pm   

Great pics Goose! Those little "dots" reminded me of those little heads I saw in the Central Park pond. :)

Thanks for sharing!
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:34 pm   

I'm guessing there are at least 20 Eastern Painteds in there. As for the Snappers, I figure about a dozen (I placed four of them in there, including Stinky and that big female).
"Make it turtle proof, and they'll build a better turtle."
User avatar
grey goose
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Jul 12, 2006

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:36 pm   

Wow! I can't believe the size difference, those are some great pictures!
Napoleon - Western Painted Turtle
Apollo - Eastern Box Turtle
Moxie - Painted Turtle Mutt
RIP Hercules

Katie

I heart my herpies!
User avatar
Starchick
 
Posts: 1399
Joined: Jan 3, 2007
Location: central NY

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:36 pm   

OMG! That female snapper was huge! And that little painted...man is he brave! That was a really cool pic of him rising up on the back of the snapper. Great pics, Goose!! :D I don't think I've ever seen that many turtles in one place before, especially that many snappers. :shock: That place is a great little retreat. Wish I could find something like that around here too. :)
User avatar
DavidY
 
Posts: 4391
Joined: Mar 9, 2007
Location: New Hampshire
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:53 pm   

When that big snapper came up from the bottom with that nutty little turt on her back I almost dropped my camera in the water! It was truly a magical moment, one that I will always remember. Plus it'll make a great screensaver! :P
"Make it turtle proof, and they'll build a better turtle."
User avatar
grey goose
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Jul 12, 2006

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:08 am   

That was a wonderful story! Thannk you. The pictures were great.
Terry
User avatar
Terryo
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Feb 19, 2007
Location: New York

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:24 am   

Name her BRAVEHEART!!!! :)

Awesome pix BTW!!! That would have made my day!
~~@@**Camee**@@~~
MY FAMILY
1 RES - Tobi-Girl 12" (13 yrs), 1 Cat- Julie (5 yrs), 3 Dogs - Hannah (8 yrs) & Jack (7 yrs) LadyBug (4) PLUS 1 Daughter & 1 Hubby... :)
User avatar
camee1991
 
Posts: 738
Joined: Apr 27, 2006
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:33 am   

Braveheart it is!
The irony in all this is if you look at pic #1, just over that green railing is Amtrak's high speed Acela rail line, carrying passengers back and forth from Boston to Philadelphia and beyond. Every 20 minutes, one of those trains goes ripping by this little pond at over 100 MPH, shaking the ground (and that little trestle) every time, carrying passengers who have absolutely no clue as to what kind of wildlife still exists there. Fact is, most, if not all, don't even care.
Those who say they wish they had a pond like this near them, you probably do! Go to Google Earth or MS Live Maps (3D) and look for small bodies of water near where you live, then go check them out (as long as they are not on private property). You'd be surprised how close by you can find wildlife, even near a congested city.
Just so you know, Stinky's Pond is located just under 4 air miles west of 42nd street in New York City.......
Last edited by grey goose on Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Make it turtle proof, and they'll build a better turtle."
User avatar
grey goose
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Jul 12, 2006

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:36 am   

I think that little painted should be named "Flakey". My heart was in my throat as a read that thread.

I guess no one goes swimming in that pond. Or at least no one ever lives to tell about it!
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:37 am   

That is so cool! :)

We are lucky here in Ponca City Oklahoma to have TONS of water around and lotsa sliders and snappers everywhere. Its such an awesome thing! Even IF some peeps dont care. I DO! :)
~~@@**Camee**@@~~
MY FAMILY
1 RES - Tobi-Girl 12" (13 yrs), 1 Cat- Julie (5 yrs), 3 Dogs - Hannah (8 yrs) & Jack (7 yrs) LadyBug (4) PLUS 1 Daughter & 1 Hubby... :)
User avatar
camee1991
 
Posts: 738
Joined: Apr 27, 2006
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:38 am   

Ditto Spots (heart was in my throat too...just thinking that the painted was gonna get it...) Thank goodness LUCK was on her side!!! And I hope it stays that way! What a BRAVEHEART! :)
~~@@**Camee**@@~~
MY FAMILY
1 RES - Tobi-Girl 12" (13 yrs), 1 Cat- Julie (5 yrs), 3 Dogs - Hannah (8 yrs) & Jack (7 yrs) LadyBug (4) PLUS 1 Daughter & 1 Hubby... :)
User avatar
camee1991
 
Posts: 738
Joined: Apr 27, 2006
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:47 am   

Did that wound on that Snapper look fresh? Looks like something took a bite out of it.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Next

Return to Photo Gallery

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 120 guests