Photo Gallery :: Saltwater Reef pics

The place to post your photos and pictures.
Winter Photo Contest Winner :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:52 pm   Saltwater Reef pics

Okay, a couple of you asked to see pics of my saltwater reef tank. I dug up a few old pics and uploaded them and here they are. I'll try to get some more recent ones as well as some pics of the predator tanks and the filtration system.

Here's the most recent shot of the entire display tank from a few months ago. It was after I removed all of the old rock which had become completely overgrown with red mushroom corals, pulsing xenia and leather corals. I moved those down into the basement grow-out tank. I added some new live rock and a few new corals.
Image

Here's a closeup of the clown fish in his host anemone...
Image
That's a Tridacna crocea clam in the foreground...
Image

This is a pic of the pulsing Xenia (left) and the blue-speckled red mushroom corals (right) after i moved them to the basement.
Image
and one of the giant Green Tree Nepthea coral...
Image
and here's a pic of some of the corals being propagated in the grow-out tank in the basement (I trade these in to the pet store for credit). Those are some leather corals on the left half of the screen...
Image
User avatar
DavidY
 
Posts: 4391
Joined: Mar 9, 2007
Location: New Hampshire
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:18 pm   

:shock: THATS AWESOME!!!!! I can't wait to see more pics!! What kind of filter are you running on the display tank? Nice job, it really looks awesome!!
Really Awesome Text Loading...
███████████
▒▒▒▒ 78%

RES's
Tank, SCL 3.75in.
Diesel, SCL 3in.
User avatar
N4784N R4613
 
Posts: 1340
Joined: Jul 18, 2006
Location: Phila. PA.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:35 pm   

Wow, I admire all of that, I'm dying to have a saltwater reef tank when I grow up and have my own home.
User avatar
Parnasa
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Apr 17, 2007
Location: Kfar Saba, Israel

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:03 pm   

ohhhhh wow :) cool tank how many many fish do you have in there??
2 RES Jack and Turbo
1 Shih-tzu/Poodle mix Cookie
User avatar
turboturtle8
 
Posts: 2355
Joined: Apr 4, 2007

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:11 pm   

That's amazing. I've wanted a saltwater tank for awhile now but I think that if I do ever get one, I'll spent all my time and money making a replica of the fish tank in Finding Nemo. (For the record, I'm almost 21 years old)
jes
powerofvoodoo
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Sep 7, 2007

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:20 pm   

lol your not the only one everytime I see a clownfish I think of Nemo too
2 RES Jack and Turbo
1 Shih-tzu/Poodle mix Cookie
User avatar
turboturtle8
 
Posts: 2355
Joined: Apr 4, 2007

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:38 pm   

Very cool, I'm jealous. I always see saltwater fish at the store and want them, they're definitely more exotic looking. I really want a starfish, the Petco near me has some really brightly colored ones, I thought they just came in brown.
>>kate<<
1.0.0 Red Eared Slider: Ethel
0.1.0 Gulf Coast Box Turtle: Bertha
0.0.1 False Tomato Frog:: Paco
1.0.1 Albino ACFs: Guillermo and Carlos
1.0.0 Pit Bull Terrier: Rocco
1.0.0 Black Lab/Mastiff: Bert
1.0.0 Orange Kitten: Baxter
User avatar
kmichael55
 
Posts: 745
Joined: May 15, 2007
Location: Ohio City, OH

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:00 pm   

How beautiful! The colors are magical.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:03 pm   

Wow that is beautiful
Is it alot of maintainence
Tito-- Baby RES

~~Safdar~~
User avatar
Safdar
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: Jul 29, 2007
Location: Houston, TX

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:34 pm   

Wow! How do you "grow" coral? lol

Beautiful tank! What's the predator tank?
2 Chinese Goldenthread turtles ~ Miso&Mafan
1 Chinese Box turtle ~ Chief Lemon
2 Redfoot Tortoises ~ Sheegua & Muugua
1 Toy Poodle ~ Pudding
3 firebellied newts ~ Cassandra, Mr.Poo, and Wiggles.

http://flickr.com/photos/the_naturalist
User avatar
Tenodera
 
Posts: 2886
Joined: Mar 5, 2007
Location: Taichung, Taiwan

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:19 pm   

Unbelievably beautiful! I never knew coral grew. More pictures please!
Terry
User avatar
Terryo
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Feb 19, 2007
Location: New York

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:29 pm   

Thanks! I have about 7 fish in the main display tank along with several red peppermint shrimp (that breed regularly), a bunch of small hermit crabs and snails (algae eaters), a serpent starfish, at least one sea cucumber and some other little critters. The predators are a snowflake eel and an angler frogfish. They each have their own tank with all the tanks sharing the same common filtration/sump system in the basement. The entire system is setup and established as a minimal maintenance habitat with high intensity lighting (2x250 watt metal halide bulbs) to mimic natural sunlight. This starts the cycle by allowing the algae and corals to feed off the nutrients in the water from all the biological waste. The food chain continues with other micro organisms, crustaceans and other invertebrates feeding on the algae, fish feed on the them and then their waste products feed the algae and corals and the cycle continues...

I only have to feed the predators frozen/thawed shrimp and fish once or twice a week and that's it. The only other maintenance involved is scraping the algae that grows on the glass, cleaning out the protein skimmer (a bubble/foam generating filter that removes excess nutrients from the water), and a 30gallon water change once or twice a year.
User avatar
DavidY
 
Posts: 4391
Joined: Mar 9, 2007
Location: New Hampshire
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:55 pm   

Thats really beautiful David. One of these days I'm going to try my hand at salt water tanks...........
"Make it turtle proof, and they'll build a better turtle."
User avatar
grey goose
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Jul 12, 2006

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:58 pm   

Must be hard to take care of.Must be really cool to have one of those bad boys in your basement 8)
2 RES Jack and Turbo
1 Shih-tzu/Poodle mix Cookie
User avatar
turboturtle8
 
Posts: 2355
Joined: Apr 4, 2007

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:31 pm   

Are all the tanks on the main filter in your basement? Or do you have a pump to go upstairs? It sounds really interesting, and I would love to hear more about the filtration system you have! :D
Really Awesome Text Loading...
███████████
▒▒▒▒ 78%

RES's
Tank, SCL 3.75in.
Diesel, SCL 3in.
User avatar
N4784N R4613
 
Posts: 1340
Joined: Jul 18, 2006
Location: Phila. PA.

Next

Return to Photo Gallery

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 184 guests