Photo Gallery :: Twist Neck Turtle (Platemys platycephala)

The place to post your photos and pictures.
Winter Photo Contest Winner :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:42 am   Twist Neck Turtle (Platemys platycephala)

This friday I went and picked up a beautiful sexual pair of these exotic gems. Now, before you guys tell me that I need more water, these turtles are different in that they need shallow water (I have mine in 3 inches of water) and they also need just as much land space as water space. Substrate and plants are a must, so is the right PH level.

Tada!
Image
Yes, i have them with gravel, unfortunately I cant use sand since I'm using a fluval 4 for filteration (were talking 3 inches of water here) and the sand would just fry it. I have talked to many P. platycephala keepers lately and they all use gravel and reccomended it over sand for many reasons, one is with bio filteration. A bare bottom tank is a no no for this species, instead they told me to realy focus on the water quality since this species have been known to develop shell rot very very quickly if the right water quality isnt met. My PH was around 8 and I have thankfully gotten it lower these past days, right now it's at 6.5 but I'm working on getting it lower.

This is their land area, it's a 30 gallon rubbermaid with topsoil as substrate, there is a ramp that they use to get in here. So far I have seem them wander around here twice. Lighting is a reptisun 10.0 in combination with a 75 watt incandescent.

Image

So far they have only eaten worms, crickets and some cut up fish. They will not take pellets, and people have told me that this is not uncommon with this species. They are very VERY friendly and have already settled in quite nicely. Whenever I walk in the room they swim towards me and beg, or just stare at me. Whoever said these guys are slow and act as if they are dying 24/7 havent met mine :D
1.1.0Trachemys scripta elegans
0.0.1Sternotherus odoratus
1.1.0Platemys platycephala
0.1.0Pelomedusa subrufa subrufa
0.0.1.Graptemys pseudogeographica
User avatar
xsavingsaturdayx
 
Posts: 2149
Joined: Sep 22, 2006
Location: Miami Beach, FL

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:58 am   

Wow, thats awesome
Looks like alot of work

Got any close-ups
i wanna see how they look
Tito-- Baby RES

~~Safdar~~
User avatar
Safdar
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: Jul 29, 2007
Location: Houston, TX

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:00 am   

Safdar wrote:Wow, thats awesome
Looks like alot of work

Got any close-ups
i wanna see how they look


I'm afraid that they are not at my house at this moment (my collection is a couple of blocks away from me) and this is rare that I actually got to use a camera. Google the name and you should see some pictures.
1.1.0Trachemys scripta elegans
0.0.1Sternotherus odoratus
1.1.0Platemys platycephala
0.1.0Pelomedusa subrufa subrufa
0.0.1.Graptemys pseudogeographica
User avatar
xsavingsaturdayx
 
Posts: 2149
Joined: Sep 22, 2006
Location: Miami Beach, FL

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:15 am   

Their shell is pretty Oval
Tito-- Baby RES

~~Safdar~~
User avatar
Safdar
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: Jul 29, 2007
Location: Houston, TX

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:09 am   

Very cool, i'd love to see some better pics of them, i googled twist neck turtles and they look awesome, such sweet faces. You're building quite the collection, i'm jealous :D If you don't mind me asking, where do you keep all of your turtles?
Adrienne!
2.0 RES: Turtley and Samson
1.0 Lutino Cockatiel: Lilly
assorted fish, hermit crabs, bugs etc.
User avatar
octpusgirl8
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1836
Joined: Feb 21, 2007
Location: Baltimore MD

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:19 am   

Congrats on the new additions! :D Dude, you need a better camera! lol!
User avatar
DavidY
 
Posts: 4391
Joined: Mar 9, 2007
Location: New Hampshire
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:26 am   

octpusgirl8 wrote:Very cool, i'd love to see some better pics of them, i googled twist neck turtles and they look awesome, such sweet faces. You're building quite the collection, i'm jealous :D If you don't mind me asking, where do you keep all of your turtles?


Thanks! Yeah, lately I've been getting deeper and deeper into the hobby - this is turtle number 5 and there are many many more to come within the next months. You have no idea how nuts people think I am now :lol:

Unfortunately I am moving into a smaller apartment so a relative of mine who owns a house with two empty bedrooms offered me a room for my turtles and a backyard for me to do whatever I want. The house is only located like 4 blocks away from my old and new apartment, so I still get to see my turtles everyday.
1.1.0Trachemys scripta elegans
0.0.1Sternotherus odoratus
1.1.0Platemys platycephala
0.1.0Pelomedusa subrufa subrufa
0.0.1.Graptemys pseudogeographica
User avatar
xsavingsaturdayx
 
Posts: 2149
Joined: Sep 22, 2006
Location: Miami Beach, FL

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:45 pm   

Wow that's really nice. It's a shame they can't live with you, but they're pretty close by. Are you planning on breeding the twist necks?
Adrienne!
2.0 RES: Turtley and Samson
1.0 Lutino Cockatiel: Lilly
assorted fish, hermit crabs, bugs etc.
User avatar
octpusgirl8
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1836
Joined: Feb 21, 2007
Location: Baltimore MD

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:05 pm   

You know I would, but I dont think thats happening anytime soon. From what I heard they very rarely get bred in captivity, but it does happen. Who knows :)
1.1.0Trachemys scripta elegans
0.0.1Sternotherus odoratus
1.1.0Platemys platycephala
0.1.0Pelomedusa subrufa subrufa
0.0.1.Graptemys pseudogeographica
User avatar
xsavingsaturdayx
 
Posts: 2149
Joined: Sep 22, 2006
Location: Miami Beach, FL


Return to Photo Gallery

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 196 guests