Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Land turtles

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:36 pm   Land turtles

I am just curious. What is a good land turtle to own? In the far future (when i buy my own house), I am thinking about getting a land turtle as a pet.

I dont want to get a tortoise that will become huge.
Gokuh

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:17 pm   

I don't have any land-based turtles, but perhaps this will help you with your decision: http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Articl ... turtle.htm
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:24 pm   

I love the way Sulcata's look, but they get huge. I've heard that Greeks and Hermans are the way to go if you like the Sulcata's but not their size. :)
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:22 pm   

i love the redfoots, if im thinking once i get my own house and basement, im gonna devote a section of the basement as an indoor habitat for land turtles, start off with something small and easy like a box turtle (easier than most land turtles anyway) and work my way up to the redfoots and indian star... my art teacher has a box turtle thats 20 years old! its not that big either, she says its slightly smaller than 2 times a normal sized cd
Turtleboy

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:51 am   

Thank you for the link Marisa. It was helpful.
Gokuh

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:43 pm   

You're welcome. :) Let us know what you finally get if/when you get a land turtle.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:57 pm   

:P ya im in the market for a land turle, l love the way the Greek's shells look. big

one time i seen some tortoises that looked albino, they were not Greek. i dont remeber what they were.
has anyone ever seen an albino tortoise? :?
thanks for the link Marisa :D
Huitzlopocti

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion