Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hello

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:56 pm   Hello

Hi guys. I'm from Houston, Texas and I joined this group over the summer because my RES died after having it for 6 months. Unfortunantly I used the pet store people as my primary source of info. Anyway I found this site because I was looking for things that I might or might not have done to kill my bubba. I discovered that my RES might have died because he ate gravel. That was the only thing that I can think of that might have killed him. I didn't take him to the vet because the guy at the petstore said that he was probably hibernating and that's why he wasn't eating. Anyway I was really sad over loosing my bubba. I guess it showed a lot and now my friend informed me that she had bought me one. I learned a lot from this forum group and am ready to start my new set up. I still have bubba's old filter and tank and will use that until I get a bigger one. I'm not sure what my new turtle's name is going to be but I'll keep ya'll updated. I was wondering if I need to get new food. I still have a brand new thing of pellets and dried shrip and I'm not sure if that stuff expires. Anyway if I have questions I'll be sure to put em in the right spot. THANKS!
imissbubba
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Jul 11, 2006
Location: Houston, Texas

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:05 pm   

hi im new all so good luck
tinkerbell_pg with 2 RES, 4 cats,2 dogs,6 fish,2hermit crabs
tinkerbell_pg
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Oct 15, 2006

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:47 pm   

Welcome back. If the food hasn't been opened and hasn't been sitting constantly in heat, since you haven't had it that long, I would think it would be OK. Pellets can get old if kept for a long time and can go bad if not kept in a cool, dark place. At the very least they can loose much of their nutritional value (and should be replaced). I once forgot about an opened container of pellets for a long time and when I opened them saw little bugs crawling around (they were tossed). Some brands have expiration dates on their containers (you might check to see if yours does).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:17 pm   

Welcome! Sorry for your loss when it comes to Bubba. Do you have pictures of your new little guy/girl?
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3040
Joined: Aug 29, 2005
Location: Ohio

Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:10 am   

Thanks, the food was kept in a bottom drawer so I don't think it's bad. I'm going to check the experation date though. My friend just gave me the turtle yesterday. She said her mom named it Chanta. I'm thinking I can stick with that name. I just got her situated in its new tank. I'm thinking its a girl, my friend kept calling it a she. I haven't seen the tail yet, but it does have long nails. So for now its a she, and no pics yet sorry.
imissbubba
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Jul 11, 2006
Location: Houston, Texas


Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 112 guests