1. The hight of his water has always been so that he could reach the top of the water simply by stretching... over the past 5 years his water has been so that he can reach it simply by holding his neck all the way out. Now i'm reading that it should be higher than his shell, I'm not sure i've ever had it that way! So, at pressent, he doesn't have to swim and he's a fat turtle. How can I change this in such a way that I wont drown him? I'm assuming that it would be bad to just increase the water level right away? Since his mucles aren't in practice?
2. another issue with the water level is his size. He is 8" long, 6" wide, and over 3" tall. He's heavy, and way too big for most of the sunning options they have in the stores. Currently I'm using a big rock, but increasing the water level means the rock will be submerged and I'll need to find something else to use. Are there other options that would be strong enough to hold him?
3. Currently i'm using a rubber made tank, it's 15" wide, 26" long, and 16 " high. According to the site, that's way too small for my turtle, however I am at a loss how to provide a tank that is big enough. That would be about, 80 gallons? they don't sell anything like that in the pet stores! When getting a new tank, how drastically different should the environment be from his current one? His tank currently holds just him and his 3 rocks, the filter and the heater. Should I make sure the new tank has nothing besides those things till he gets use to that, or would it be better for him when making the drastic change to get it all done at once?
4. His diet has always consisted of just cat food. Is that even an exceptable food suply for him? I noticed he should be eating vegitables and fruits as well as the "meat". Does the diet need changed very slowly? do i start adding new things a little bit before taking away his current diet?
I want to do the right thing for my turtle, but I don't want to change everything so quickly that it harms him mently! So those are my basic questions. I'm sure i'll have more. Thank you so much! for your help
~Becky

