General Care Discussion :: Belching and gulping

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:13 am   Belching and gulping

This is gross but Tiny apears to have indigestion tonight. Is there such a thing. When she has freeze dried krill before bed, she belches big bubbles at the surfice and gulps them back in. What is this?
1 RES Tiny
1 Cat Rascal
User avatar
Tiny
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Feb 21, 2008
Location: Upstate NY

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:33 pm   

I'm not sure, you might be overfeeding. It's best not to feed before bedtime, it's good for them to be able to bask and digest if they like. On a side note, krill are extremely high in protein and shouldn't be fed often.
Adrienne!
2.0 RES: Turtley and Samson
1.0 Lutino Cockatiel: Lilly
assorted fish, hermit crabs, bugs etc.
User avatar
octpusgirl8
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1836
Joined: Feb 21, 2007
Location: Baltimore MD

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:44 pm   

Thank you, I will be taking your advice. I usually only give 2-3, sometimes 4, as a treat, but then like clockwork! the belching and gulping after lights out. I probably do tend to spoil her too. That begging is so darn irrisistable. I must put my foot down. She's so much like a baby.

Do you have any other suggestions for a turtle treat rather than krill?
1 RES Tiny
1 Cat Rascal
User avatar
Tiny
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Feb 21, 2008
Location: Upstate NY

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:49 pm   

Anything that turtles go nuts for is probably going to be something that you shouldn't be giving all that often. I know they are terrible beggars, and hard to resist, but you must in order to keep them healthy for a long time. I have a littly tiny bowl that i keep by the tank, and every day i put about 1/2 a head's worth of pellets in (except for days that Turtley gets turtle Yummies or frozen turtle food). That way whenever i go by the tank and see Turtley begging like a maniac, i can give him a few pellets without worrying about overfeeding him. You can also find fruits or veggies that she especially likes, but if they're high in sugar you still have to be careful not to feed too much. My turtle is all about carrots, so once a week i give him a few strips. He goes nuts for them, and afterwards he has cute orange lips!
Adrienne!
2.0 RES: Turtley and Samson
1.0 Lutino Cockatiel: Lilly
assorted fish, hermit crabs, bugs etc.
User avatar
octpusgirl8
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1836
Joined: Feb 21, 2007
Location: Baltimore MD

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:44 pm   

You can get one of those weekly pill holders and measure out how much you can give on what days, plus accounting for treats. That way you know you aren't overfeeding!
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
User avatar
TheComputerGremlin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3732
Joined: Jan 12, 2008
Location: Washington, DC

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:14 pm   Thank you

Thanks guys-

I never really thought about how much was in each one of those bottle shakes. i really don't know how much she gets each time I feed. I like the bowl and pill caes, because sometimes i don't make it home at her regular evening feeding, so my 17 year old or husband could easily cover for me too if it's all set.

I'll give it a try.
1 RES Tiny
1 Cat Rascal
User avatar
Tiny
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Feb 21, 2008
Location: Upstate NY

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:43 pm   

Ha- I love the orange lips too!
kgielda
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Oct 16, 2007
Location: South Jersey


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 162 guests