General Care Discussion :: new tank

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:30 am   new tank

im about to upgrade from a 20 gal tank to a 45 gal tank is there anything i need to do to prepare my year old res for the change in the amount of water or can i just put him rite in
chefglue
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Aug 29, 2007

Post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:39 am   

I just did a change over from a 20 gal to a 75 gal. I set everything up in the 75 gal, conditioned the water with Repti-safe and put in a product called "Cycle" that adds benificial bacteria. I let the filter and the heater run over night to make sure everything was running smooth and to let the water get up to temp. I put a couple minnows in to help cycle the tank and to test the water. At the end of the day I put my turtle in (about 24 hours after I first set up the tank) My move went just fine, and I didn't even have "new tank syndrom" I don't really know if all of that was necassary, but I figured, better safe than sorry.
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
User avatar
imderanged
 
Posts: 1824
Joined: Dec 25, 2007

Post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:18 pm   

There's nothing really necessary except make sure the water is dechlorinated (either by letting it sit overnight or by adding a dechlorinator), and make sure it's about the same temp as his old tank.
And of course, make sure there's no clever way he's going to try to escape ;)
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:52 pm   

if your tank has deep water switching from a 20g to a 45g shouldnt be a problem. i bet your turt will love to explore its new home :)
- Jessy
"Every breath we take is linked to the sea."
User avatar
zoologist
 
Posts: 1286
Joined: Jun 4, 2008
Location: Daytona, Fl


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 150 guests