General Care Discussion :: Algae Remover Solutions - Safe or Not?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:29 pm   Algae Remover Solutions - Safe or Not?

They always have those algae remover solutions in like petsmart and stuff.... are they safe to use with RES? I don't usually get algae anymore now that I put a shade on the window near where Ruby is being kept, but still, it's good to have a backup. :D

Any past experiences or anything with it? I thought I should check in with that.
Nin10doGC
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Aug 26, 2008

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:51 pm   

I usually just leave the algae alone unless it starts to get on the front or side of the tank but I dont know about those "cleaners".
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:03 pm   

you could just scrape it off but in the past i have used jungle brand algae remover i think and it didnt do any harm
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Aug 18, 2007
Location: Oklahoma

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:31 pm   

I can't figure out why but after anything more than a 1/4 water change I get bad algae. Not growing, furry looking algae but the water turns this nasty greeny browny color. I use the AlgaeFix and in about a week and a half/2 weeks the water looks brand new again. I read that it was turtle-safe before I bought it and it hasn't appeared to hurt the little bugger yet ;)
Simba
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Sep 20, 2008

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:55 pm   

Simba wrote:I can't figure out why but after anything more than a 1/4 water change I get bad algae. Not growing, furry looking algae but the water turns this nasty greeny browny color. I use the AlgaeFix and in about a week and a half/2 weeks the water looks brand new again. I read that it was turtle-safe before I bought it and it hasn't appeared to hurt the little bugger yet ;)


sounds like an algae bloon
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Aug 18, 2007
Location: Oklahoma


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 167 guests