General Care Discussion :: gasp or a hiss?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:58 pm   gasp or a hiss?

I've taken sheldon outsinde to romp around and he has made these weird sounds like someone breathing when I pick him up. Ithink it is because he doesnt want to be picked up. I cant really describe it that well. I just hope it isnt RI. theank you all for your help!
1 RES- Sheldon
1 pastel RES-Petey
User avatar
Sheldon_turtle
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Jan 7, 2009

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:04 pm   

Well, does he do anything else irregular? Symptoms of RI:
Lopsided Swimming, Wheezy Breathing, Swollen Eyes, Liquid, Bubbly mucus coming out nose, and things like that. Any of these symptoms? If not, he should be okay. If it's heavy or abnormal breathing, it could be/lead to pneumonia.
TurtleLover_S&B,

Squirt & Bubbles!The cutest turtles you've ever seen!!
User avatar
TurtleLover_S&B
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Sep 9, 2008
Location: Georgia

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:08 pm   

Its like i pick him up and he opens his mouth slightly and retracts into his shell and makes that noise. could it be that he is just scared? he has none of those symptoms. Thanks!
1 RES- Sheldon
1 pastel RES-Petey
User avatar
Sheldon_turtle
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Jan 7, 2009

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:22 pm   

Both my turtles do that too. I guess after being outside for a while, the respiratory
tract dries up and makes it easier to produce a hissing sound when the turtle
breathes hard enough. It's normal :)
RES - Ramen <f> (51/4")
RES - Heine <f> (43/4")
Asian Leaf Turtle - unnamed <m> (53/4")
measured at Nov 24, 2012
< my turtles' pics >
User avatar
Kemul
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Aug 31, 2008
Location: Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:24 pm   

thanks all you guys! I will keep an eye out for symptoms of RI too.
1 RES- Sheldon
1 pastel RES-Petey
User avatar
Sheldon_turtle
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Jan 7, 2009

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:33 pm   

The hissing noise you here is air escaping from their lungs when they suck their heads in. They need to make room for their heads, so they let a bit of air out of their lungs, and it comes out in a hiss.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:20 pm   

He could be opening his mouth to try and bite at you when you pick him up.
I have 4 baby RES. Their names are, Bob, Motzarella, Mr.Turtle, and Mrs. Turtle.
Pictures can be found here
http://s408.photobucket.com/albums/pp16 ... 6446dd.pbw
User avatar
Sniffa
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Jun 6, 2009
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:42 am   

Bulldog, I think that your answer is accurate because yesterday I took him out again and he was looking for some shade and found a crack he tried to fit into. he went in headfirst, neck all streched out. I picked him up and he sucked his head in and made this noise and gazed vengefully at my finger.

I'm glad my lil turt is ok! Thanks evrybody!
1 RES- Sheldon
1 pastel RES-Petey
User avatar
Sheldon_turtle
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Jan 7, 2009

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:41 am   

Lol, my turtle, Typhoon, has been known to hiss at me from time to time when she doesn't want to be picked up. Your should eventually get used to being handled if you stay consistent with it.
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:04 pm   

sheldon has been handled alot especially when I clean the tank. I guess he just needs some time to be able to cope with humans. he also does that when jumping off of the basking dock, lol!
1 RES- Sheldon
1 pastel RES-Petey
User avatar
Sheldon_turtle
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Jan 7, 2009

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:31 pm   

Sheldon_turtle wrote:sheldon has been handled alot especially when I clean the tank. I guess he just needs some time to be able to cope with humans. he also does that when jumping off of the basking dock, lol!


Cute personality quirk :D
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:41 pm   

He's also known for somehow un-sticking the underwater suction cups to the zoo-med dock and squeezing under it! heh.
1 RES- Sheldon
1 pastel RES-Petey
User avatar
Sheldon_turtle
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Jan 7, 2009

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:34 am   

Try breathing out all of your air quickly. You will probably hiss. My turtle does it whenever I startle him, making him suck in his head, and other extremities.

But always keep on the lookout for RI.
Cap-hits, not Cafits.
User avatar
Caphits
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Jan 16, 2009
Location: Wyoming


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 162 guests