General Care Discussion :: Feeding while on vacation?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:35 pm   Feeding while on vacation?

So last time I went on vacation, I had the luxury of somebody coming over to feed my turtles because they were feeding my dad's fish as well. Unfortunately, my dad upgraded to an automatic feeder recently, but I have not. I'm going to be gone for a week, but the longest I've ever left my turtles unfed was about 3-4 days. I would leave some lettuce and red rosys to keep them occupied, but the problem is that I have two turtles. I am aware of the consequences, which is why I always feed them separately in precaution of aggression and domination. If I was to leave loads of food in their tank, supposedly a weeks supply, it would all be gone before I even left the room and most likely a ratio 5:1 of bigturtle:smallturtle.


I'm going to keep trying to see if someone can come over i the middle of the week to feed them, but has anybody else tried another plan?
-Gabe:D

1.0.1 RES - Raphael & Speedy Claxter

Egg Crate: (n.) turtle owner's best friend, (2) also known as light diffuser, (3) found in local hardware stores in the lighting section
User avatar
Raphulk
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Dec 30, 2007
Location: sunny california

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:44 pm   

How about one of those automatic feeders? Sure, there's no way to guarantee that both turtles will get their fair share, but if you are going to be gone for only a week, no biggie. Make sure you buy one that will accommodate the turtle pellet's size and test it out for a few days to make sure it's not way overfeeding them.

Either that, or throw in a few rosie reds. They'll probably eat them all at once, but it'll last them for the week.
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
User avatar
TheComputerGremlin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3732
Joined: Jan 12, 2008
Location: Washington, DC

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:08 pm   

If you're really worried, you could let you turtles gorge once and they should be fine for the week. 1 week isn't really a long time for turtles to go without food, as long as it isn't a regular thing.
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 223 guests