I have a 1 year old male RES. He has not shed since this past April, his one-year birthday. He is 5.5 inches in length.
His habitat, temperatures, lighting, and diet are all just about as perfect as one can get. He eats a variety of veggies and protein, including sweet potatoes (his favorite), carrots, red/green leaf lettuce, and a little banana now and then. He won't eat blueberries or tomatoes, and he barely tolerates apples, which I hear help cause shedding. He won't eat the peel at all. His protein is a combination of HBH pellets and Reptomin pellets with an occasional krill or shrimp treat. He gets cuttlebone once or twice a week, and his protein is dusted with calcium and multivitamin powder. He has a heat lamp which keeps the basking area 90D F, and a UVA/UVB bulb. His water is between 78 and 80 D F.
In the last three months, he has begun rubbing himself on everything with a dull edge to it. He will sit on the floor and rub himself on my fingernails or the couch rails for 30 minutes at a time. In the water, he rubs on this decorative bridge I have for him.
He's active and healthy with no signs whatsoever of RI or photokeratoconjunctivitis (the eye thing). Yet he has not shed in six months.
Also, his tail has doubled in length and grown significantly in thickness, whereas the rest of him has remained pretty much the same size. His tail is a little longer than his head now. I don't know if this is uneven or abnormal growth, or just Tank reaching sexual maturity.
Should I be worried? Should I do something different to his diet, water temps, or basking temps?
