General Care Discussion :: Fungus

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:19 pm   Fungus

Hello All!

I am almost certain I have a fungal issue going on with my 2 RES. however all the reading I have done points to 'Silver Sulfadiazine Cream' as being my best shot to heal and get rid of the fungus. However, I spoke to my vet about the cream and he said that it was discontinued and that he was unable to get it for me. I dont understand that since it seems to be what this site is still using. If anyone can help me out by offering another similar treatment method for me that would be greatly appreciated! I really want to get my RES shells back to the healthy state I know they can be in.

Also, my oldet RES Sam, has not shed in a very long time and in my opinion seems to be retaining his scutes. There is no signs of shedding yet to come and its starting to worry me. I have everything in the tank he needs (proper UVB, Heat, Basking, Water Temp, ive gone through this site a million times) If there is anything else i can do to promote shedding in a healthy way, please fill me in on that secret also!

Here is Sam, He is in worse shape than Ella, He is also the one I believe to have retained his scutes.
Image

Thanks Again!
acf
 
Posts: 38
Joined: May 1, 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:31 pm   Re: Fungus

What did your vet recommend as a replacement for the Silver Sulfadiazine? Or you can try here http://www.amazon.com/Thermazene-Silver ... B0008KLQNM
Stupid is as stupid does. - Forest Gump
The only dumb question is one not asked.
Love of Animals
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Jan 5, 2011
Location: Yorktown, NY
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:37 pm   Re: Fungus

he mentioned Iodine, but im not sure on how to properly use it as its a liquid. Im good friends with our vet and he was advising me over the phone and so was unable to properly show me what it was i needed to do. if i put the Iodine directly into the tank the water will turn orange and how will it affect their eyes?

I looked online for ordering and its hard without a proper prescription, and pretty much all the sites I have looked at are U.S based sites and refuse to ship meds to Canada. I have found out also that the amazon.ca site does not have silver sulfadiazine cream.
acf
 
Posts: 38
Joined: May 1, 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:49 pm   Re: Fungus

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/medshell.htm Try reading that link see if anything helps. I wouldn't put the iodine in the water. You can put it in the affected areas and dry dock him for a couple of hours then rinse him off before you put him back in his tank. Also keep the water really clean you don't want the fungus to turn into an infection. I'm not sure if you should dilute it first. I would call him back and ask exactly how to use it. Is he a herp vet?
Stupid is as stupid does. - Forest Gump
The only dumb question is one not asked.
Love of Animals
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Jan 5, 2011
Location: Yorktown, NY
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:10 pm   Re: Fungus

no, he's not. unfortunatly it is hard to come by herp vets here so i was going with the best advice i could get (another reason why i turned here).

so use a q-tip or whatever to plly the Iodine to the white patches and leave it to soak in? how long do i dry dock for? how often should i treat him? when will results be seen?
acf
 
Posts: 38
Joined: May 1, 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:29 am   Re: Fungus

Read the link it will give you the information about dry docking it will also tell you what to do with the iodine. It says to wash the shell with undiluted iodine and let dry for 45 min. It also has alternative treatments.
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/medshell.htm
I've never dealt with shell issues (thankfully) I've just done a lot of research since I found my turtle. Good luck!
Stupid is as stupid does. - Forest Gump
The only dumb question is one not asked.
Love of Animals
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Jan 5, 2011
Location: Yorktown, NY
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:38 am   Re: Fungus

Discontinued? All the vets I asked for it carry it, it's not something they need to order on an individual basis. I would ask another vet.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:09 pm   Re: Fungus

Rather than iodine, for cleaning I'd try chlorohexidine (Hibiclens at pharmacies) and dilute it 50/50 with water. But really, basking under proper lighting should eventually help those old scutes to shed.

I know you've probably said it elsewhere, but what kind of UVB light are you using? How old is it?

What's the temp of the basking area?

How much water is in the tank and how often is it changed?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 161 guests

cron