General Care Discussion :: How often should my turtle make waste?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:39 pm   How often should my turtle make waste?

How often should a healthy RES make waste?

Twice a day?
Once a day?
Once every 2 days?

What color or consistency should it be?

Black? Brown? Tan?

I cleared out my tank and went with no decor to monitor my turtle's waste habits.
Name/Type/Sex: Yoshi/Cumberland Slider/Female
Age/Shell Size: 8 yrs/SCL 7 inches (03/05/12)
Tank Size: 40g Breeder
User avatar
stopgaming
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Feb 17, 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:11 pm   Re: How often should my turtle make waste?

As long as he is going at least once a day should fine and its usually a light brown color. Most res will eat their own waste so you might not find anything.
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
User avatar
Diamondbacks4Life
Moderator
 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Apr 4, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:13 pm   Re: How often should my turtle make waste?

I got light brown! Yay!

And I've seen black waste from younger RES before. Is that just because they are young or bad diet?
Name/Type/Sex: Yoshi/Cumberland Slider/Female
Age/Shell Size: 8 yrs/SCL 7 inches (03/05/12)
Tank Size: 40g Breeder
User avatar
stopgaming
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Feb 17, 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:46 am   Re: How often should my turtle make waste?

For the longest time I was almost convinced that my turtle just never pooped... Till I caught her laying a doosey then promptly eating it. Ick!
Wasabi
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Feb 15, 2012
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:29 am   Re: How often should my turtle make waste?

I think it was from a bad diet. I usually see a mix of green/brown.

Though I agree with Wasabi, it's sometimes very hard to know when they might poop.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 128 guests