General Care Discussion :: Should I seperate them?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:39 pm   Should I seperate them?

I bought my two sliders three years ago. One is quite bigger then the other and i'm beginning to have some worries. I have to feed them separately or else the big one eats all the food. And whenever I walk into the room they get crazy and the big one always kicks the little guy in the face which scares the bejesus outta me. Should I get two tanks and keep them separated?

I'm also worried about the little guys growing. He (or she, not too sure) honestly seems to be as small as when I bought him as a baby. I make sure he's eating, and I have a calcium source, U.V, basking light and all that.
User avatar
HannahB
 
Posts: 3
Joined: May 15, 2012
Location: Canada
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:45 pm   Re: Should I seperate them?

If they are not fighting or attacking each other I don't see why you need to separate them. When you feed them take out of bigger one or distract him when you feed the smaller one. And kicking like when they are swimming? Pretty sure thats harmless and the smaller one knows to move out of the way :) Post some pictures of the smaller one if he's healthy and fed the same as the bigger one it may just be genetic just like humans not everyone grows at the same rate.
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:51 pm   Re: Should I seperate them?

Does it seem like they are agressive towards each other? Since you are feeding them separately, they should be getting the same amount of food. Baby Red Eared Sliders (RES) grow quickly and should at least double in size within a year. They usually grow quicker than that. After a few years, their growth slows down. It is concerning that the little guy hasn't grown much. Does he seem active and healthy? Does he ate a lot when you feed him separately?

What size enclosure are you using? For two three year old turtles, you should have at least 100 gallons, preferably more. Two full grown RES require a lot of room. If one is aggressive towards the other, then they definitely should be separated. Turtles are solitary creatures and will do fine in their own enclosures. Multiple turtles may exist peacefully, especially if they are females. Males are territorial. They may or may not get a long with other females and more likely than not will be agressive towards other males if there isn't enough room for both of them in one enclosure.

-Michael
Sweeney & Pascal - RES Hatchlings & Martha - 2 yo YBS
Find out more about us at our - Turtle Blog & TurtleCam
michaelg
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Feb 12, 2012
Location: Southeast Georgia
Gender: Male


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 251 guests