General Care Discussion :: Algea on turtle dock

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:38 pm   Algea on turtle dock

I noticed green algea on the ramp to my turtles basking dock...I cleaned the tank completly the minute I saw it

What causes this crap??
Chris (Turtle Newb in training)
2 tiny RES (Cuff and Link)
1 3 Toed Boxie (Ms. Pineapple)
1 Dwarf Bunny (Mischa)
User avatar
chrisinva
 
Posts: 695
Joined: Aug 25, 2008
Location: Virginia

Post Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:40 pm   

its probably the heat bulb and the UVB. i have some slight algae on my ramp and on the glass thats around my basking area
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Aug 18, 2007
Location: Oklahoma

Post Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:45 pm   

Daniel3507 wrote:its probably the heat bulb and the UVB. i have some slight algae on my ramp and on the glass thats around my basking area

Is it harmful to the turtles?
Chris (Turtle Newb in training)
2 tiny RES (Cuff and Link)
1 3 Toed Boxie (Ms. Pineapple)
1 Dwarf Bunny (Mischa)
User avatar
chrisinva
 
Posts: 695
Joined: Aug 25, 2008
Location: Virginia

Post Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:48 pm   

i dont think so. i'll wipe mine down every now and then just because i thinks its ugly.
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Aug 18, 2007
Location: Oklahoma

Post Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:38 pm   

No, it's not harmful. Aside from looking sort of unsightly, algae can actually be good for your tank. It's also a sign that nitrite levels, etc, in your tank are balanced, because it's able to support plant life.
1 RES, Piper
1 YBS, Michelangelo
2 gerbils, Annie and Maple
2 tetras, Leonin and Perotin
2 longfin danios, Cloud and Flash
1 blue mystery snail
User avatar
spaceapple
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Jul 30, 2008
Location: Martin, TN

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:05 am   Re: Algea on turtle dock

I am having issues with cleaning algea off my turtle dock... i think it kinda smells and its really ugly but i can seem to brush it off (I have a zoo med floating turtle dock) anyone have any ideas how to get rid of it?
ignites
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Oct 12, 2012

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:22 am   Re: Algea on turtle dock

taken from this pages definitions page.

http://www.redearslider.com/glossary.html

Algae – A relatively simple nonflowering plant that grows in water, on the sides of tank, on decorations and on turtle shells. It is not considered to be harmful and can usually be wiped or brushed/scrubbed off.
2 Res: Athena & Zelda
User avatar
CactusJohn5
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Dec 15, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:44 pm   Re: Algea on turtle dock

ya ive been scrubbing like crazy. broke a few tooth brushes.. still not coming off ;). zoo med docks are textured really well so its a bit hard to scrub in the holes and get all of the algea out =/
ignites
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Oct 12, 2012

Post Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:44 pm   Re: Algea on turtle dock

What kind of brush are you using? If you take it out of the tank, you can use one of those brushes with a handle to make it easier. Just a caution, the Zoo Med dock might not hold up to repeated scrubbings.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:52 am   Re: Algea on turtle dock

steve wrote:What kind of brush are you using? If you take it out of the tank, you can use one of those brushes with a handle to make it easier. Just a caution, the Zoo Med dock might not hold up to repeated scrubbings.


I've had the same problem. Go to walmart and get something like a floor brush. The dock will hold up as long as you don't put too much pressure on it. I typically soaked mine in hot, mild soapy, water for about 15 minutes before brushing and that seems to help. Just make sure you don't have any extra soap residue left on the dock before you put it back in. Eventually you will need to replace it cause of the wear you and your turtle are putting on it.

My suggestion is when you clean your tank, just do the soaking thing and lightly scrub away anything that comes off. You won't get it all but it won't be as bad. If done right, it actually looks a bit cooler and adds a nice lightish green color to the tank, giving it a bit of personality.
User avatar
Litch
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Apr 5, 2010
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:44 pm   Re: Algea on turtle dock

I am sure I will get scolded for this but to get rid of and manage the algae on my turtle dock I soak my dock and the stacking stones I have in my tank with a solution of bleach and water, I usually soak for about an hour then I rinse the stones and dock under running water for about 20 minutes. Finally I will soak them again for about another 30 minutes in a water and de-chlorinator solution and one final 20 minute rinse

I then let them air dry before i put them in the tank.

I do this probably every couple of months as needed when I start to get a substantial amount of algae growing in my tank

I have seen no ill effects to either the fish in the tank or the turtle.
1 male RES - Franklin
2 gold fish and 1 silver Fathead Minnow that started out as feeder fish & earned their right to live
3 Leopard Geckos - Gizmo, Snow and Boo
My Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=33545
MEandYouPhoto
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Aug 26, 2012
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:04 pm   Re: Algea on turtle dock

I am not sure if soap or bleech is something i want to try. I am just using a spare toothbrush (new /unused) to scrub it off. I guess i can try a floor scrubber if i ever find one, once again for me its just unslightly not that I really care because my tank is actually algea free =);
ignites
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Oct 12, 2012

Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:28 am   Re: Algea on turtle dock

I think of it as plants that are eating nitrates. It adds to the natural look (as long it doesn't start growing on the glass).
5 inch RES male named Jordtim
Hardware: 75 gallon tank (21"H X 48"W X 18"D), FX5 filter with veipacray media setup, pool filter sand substrat, TurtleSafe halogen heat/UVA lamp and ReptiGlo 5.0 UVB lamp in ZooMed Dual Dome Fixture.
PridgNYC
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Aug 24, 2011
Location: Port Washington, NY
Gender: Male


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 149 guests