General Care Discussion :: New to keeping RES

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:11 pm   New to keeping RES

I have had it up and running for 2 1/2 weeks now and I see I am having a common issue. My turtle does not seem to be eating. I have been giving pellets every day, I have added 5 feeder fish, tried roman lettuce. small piece of carrot and doesn't seem to touch anything. He is in a 55 gallon tank. water Temp 72-75. Basking area which I had the wrong light at first just changes it last Friday to a UVA UVB light. What else should I do? my 7 year old would be devastated if Ruddy the red eared slider dies (yes he was delivered by Rudolf the red noise reindeer)
chstewart
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Jan 9, 2014

Post Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:22 am   Re: New to keeping RES

How big is Ruddy? I'd start by bumping up the water temps 5 degrees or so. Does he get any privacy?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:03 am   Re: New to keeping RES

He is just over 4 inches. As for privacy he is in my sons bed room so the room is empty while he is at school. then if the afternoons he is in and out of the room
chstewart
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Jan 9, 2014

Post Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:32 pm   Re: New to keeping RES

Does he seem interested in food at all? How's the activity level?

Do you know the basking temp? Getting warm while basking helps them to digest food, so affects appetite.

One suggestion I've heard to entice eating is to soak the pellets in the water from a can of tuna. I've never had to do it myself. My sons turtle is a pig.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
User avatar
ljapa
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Jul 21, 2012
Location: Near Chicago in IN
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:19 pm   Re: New to keeping RES

The water is at 76. the basking area ranges from 96 in the direct light to 84 when he is away from the light. Just the past few days when we put food in he seems to at least watch it.which before he wasn't even doing that. Some times he will jump into the water right after I put the food in but never see him eat and when I come back the food is still there. as for activity he is in and out of the water sits on the basking area for hours at a time. Not swimming around as much as the first few day. I guess I will make tuna for lunch today and save some of the water for the pellets.
chstewart
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Jan 9, 2014

Post Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:21 pm   Re: New to keeping RES

You can also try giving tuna, boiled chucked meat, and egg whites but those things might foul up his water quicker,
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 129 guests