General Care Discussion :: New turtle owner--guidance please.

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:32 am   New turtle owner--guidance please.

Hello! I have had a RES and YBS for 2 weeks now. They seem to be thriving but I want to make sure I'm providing a good environment for them.

The RES is half-dollar size. The YBS is quarter-sized. Based on reading, I'm estimating they are between 3-4 months old?

They are in a 40 gallon tank filled 3/4 of water with ample basking area. They have a heat/UV light and I use a black light for sleeping. I put small terra cotta pots with safe aquatic plants and weighted the plant (in the pot) with LARGE rocks so they do not eat the rocks. No gravel on the bottom of aquarium. I don't know the brand of my filter but it's made for up to 100 gallons of water I believe. I'm thinking of adding another filter--have one on each side of the tank.

I feed in a separate container and offer a variety--pellets, krill, shrimp and have offered grapes and apple once. I've read that baby turtles need more protein than vegetation. They do have plants to snack on though. I feed once per day and give them an opportunity to eat for about 15 minutes. I put water from their tank into a smaller container so it's not shocking to them. I understand that they need to eat in water due to not producing their own saliva.

I've used the skimmer daily to retrieve plant bits and feces at the bottom. I added an air pump with 2 bubble stones last night to improve the circulation of the water. Their water has remained crystal clear so far with no stink. I added Aqua Safe to their water to rid it of chlorine.

I've done 1 partial water change so far--using the old fashioned method of scooping out water with a big cup. I purchased a large siphon last night to make it easier. I've read that you should do a partial water change weekly?

Anything I need to be doing in addition or stop doing? I love these little guys and want to provide the best for them. I'm especially in love with my RES-- (I'm calling it a "him")--he has such a different personality compared to the YBS. He dives into the water from basking when I walk near the aquarium and swims away like he's startled. In the morning though when it's feeding time, he's started to swim into my hand because he knows it's time to eat. It's so sweet! Other than feeding time, he wants nothing to do with me though.

I'm in my 30's. I had turtles when I was a kid and loved them so much. I have a little girl who is equally thrilled to have our turtles. I feel like a kid again with these little guys...coolest creatures ever! It's been a long time since I've had reptiles though and more information is available now versus so many years ago...I just want to be sure they're taken care of properly.
Zamey14
 
Posts: 3
Joined: May 18, 2014

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:26 pm   Re: New turtle owner--guidance please.

Welcome to the forum!

Their size when they are young is heavily influenced on how much they are fed, but your estimate could be accurate.

I'd get rid of the black light as that could be harmful. They sleep best in darkness.

Hatchlings will prefer live prey and protein, but feel free to introduce veggies. I'd refer to our feeding guidelines rather than whats on the package label (www.redearslider.com/pellets.html -- actually, a little less would be fine)

As far as using Aqua Safe, try to use carbon filter media as that it will not be harmful. How often you do water changes depends on how much water and filtration you have... I would say a minimum would be a partial change monthly.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:47 am   Re: New turtle owner--guidance please.

Thanks, Steve. I stopped using the black light upon your recommendation.

I was just reading an article that said baby turtles do not need a heat lamp--that they can become over heated quickly. Is that true? Their basking spot is at 85 degrees F.

The smaller turtle (YBS) hasn't been acting right--basking very often, not very active, sleeping/closing her eyes frequently... but she IS eating and I'm offering her food more than once per day because she seems "off" and I'm concerned. I have a vet appointment for her Thursday but I'm doing everything I can for her health before the vet. I increased the water temp to right at 80 F. The air temp is maintaining at 80 with the water temp increase. Humidity is 69 in the "moderate" range. The other turtle (RES) is a comical character full of energy and personality so I don't believe the environment is bad. I think she has something wrong. I'm doing everything I know to do to keep her comfortable until the vet...2 more days.
Zamey14
 
Posts: 3
Joined: May 18, 2014

Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:23 pm   Re: New turtle owner--guidance please.

A heat lamp is fine, but make sure the temperatures are monitored carefully. The basking temps don't need to be much water than the water temps.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 144 guests