General Care Discussion :: Drastic Changes for Old Turtle

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:06 pm   Re: Drastic Changes for Old Turtle

I thought maybe since she had never had it she was used to it being cold but apparently when given a choice she wants warmth lol. I would've thought naturally they liked cold water. I am not sure the temperature. We bought one of those thermometers that stick to the side so we will know and can adjust it accordingly. Are those ok or is there a better kind of thermometer? We keep our house at 70 during the day and 68 at night but I'm not sure what that would mean the water would be.
Kiwi - 18 years old
User avatar
twinkie
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mar 19, 2014
Location: United States - Kentucky
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:11 pm   Re: Drastic Changes for Old Turtle

Yes, the time sounds OK. A little adjustment during basking is normal, what are the basking area temps? Do you have a water heater? Have you tried a veggie clip? I'd still cut down pellets, you have to play a little hard ball.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:15 pm   Re: Drastic Changes for Old Turtle

The basking area thermometer is reading 82 but that's about 6 inches from the center of the light. It's in the corner of the area. I don't have a water heater but I can get one if i need to. I tried a veggie clip and she hasn't eaten any of it yet. She also hasn't eaten her cuttlebone.
Kiwi - 18 years old
User avatar
twinkie
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mar 19, 2014
Location: United States - Kentucky
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:05 pm   Re: Drastic Changes for Old Turtle

Is she eating anything?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:26 am   Re: Drastic Changes for Old Turtle

She eats get floating sticks but not a huge amount. I tried to give her floating treats and she eats them but not immediately.
Kiwi - 18 years old
User avatar
twinkie
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mar 19, 2014
Location: United States - Kentucky
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:43 pm   Re: Drastic Changes for Old Turtle

That's a good sign. Are there any other problems?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Previous

Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 359 guests