General Care Discussion :: Putting turtle out of its misery

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:13 pm   Putting turtle out of its misery

I'm going to somehow kill it the least painful way possible, because now on all of its edges of the shell there looks to be internal bleeding and he is getting worse and worse. You all may hate me for doing this, but it's killing me to watch a turtle slowly die. It's hard enough to write this, but does anybody know of a way to put it out of its misery easily? :cry:
1.0.0 RES-Slash
1.2.0 Cat-Abby/Cali/Nemo
0.1.0 Yorkie-Lucie
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier-Cooper
I have lots of ideas! Trouble is, most of them suck!
User avatar
PcBuilder14
 
Posts: 1754
Joined: Jul 3, 2008
Location: Maud, Texas

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:44 pm   

what's wrong??? what happened? good luck. so sad to hear this!
Lucky Tortuga 9" 7 years old male RES
Lucy Tortuga 10" 7 years old female RES
Lucky and Lucy Tortuga
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Apr 23, 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:48 pm   

Take it to a vet - any vet will do - and ask to have him humanely euthanized.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:54 pm   

Take it to a vet PLEASE. Even if only to euthanize it. I realize you have been saying all along that your parents won't pay for a vet but please try to imagine any and all sorts of ways you could kill it, then put yourself in your turtles shoes and imagine having that done to you. Any kind of "Mercy Killing" outside of having it done by a veterinarian is most likely going to be painful or botched and thus a prolonged agony. Not to mention the fact that it will hurt your soul if you love your turtle.

Are there any members on here close enough to take this turtle to be euthanized properly if it really is so far gone that it cannot be rehabbed????
User avatar
littlecakes
 
Posts: 218
Joined: May 3, 2008
Location: Germantown, NY

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:51 pm   

No I don't think there is anyone close enough to take it out of my hands on here, and I was wondering how much it would cost to euthinize it?
1.0.0 RES-Slash
1.2.0 Cat-Abby/Cali/Nemo
0.1.0 Yorkie-Lucie
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier-Cooper
I have lots of ideas! Trouble is, most of them suck!
User avatar
PcBuilder14
 
Posts: 1754
Joined: Jul 3, 2008
Location: Maud, Texas

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:14 pm   

The cost will vary widely. If there is a humane society shelter near you, you can call and ask if they will euthanize animals per owners request and how much it will cost. If you can find a legitimate humane society near you, this should be the cheapest option. Otherwise, google "maud, texas, veterinary" and call clinics near you and just ask to see if there is one that is doable.
User avatar
littlecakes
 
Posts: 218
Joined: May 3, 2008
Location: Germantown, NY

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:16 pm   

if it comes down to an issue of money, maybe you can go to a local vet with the turtle in a box, with a note saying the problem and that you feel it should be put down, then bring it in, give it to the receptionist saying you found it near by and leave. I have seen this done many times. I know it's not the best way to go, but it's better then you "doing the deed" yourself and having to remember that for the rest of your life. I wish you were near by so I could take him for you. I have a great vet who would probably try and save it on his own dime too.

PLEASE don't do it yourself. It deserves better even if it is dying.

:(
Kristel :)

1.0.0 RES- *Hurley
3.0.0 cats- *Joe *Jak *Pip
1.1.0 African Dwarf Frogs *Sharkey *Darla
1.2.6 Crested Geckos- *Striker*Izabella*Lil Lady*babies
1.0.0 Husband- *Dave
User avatar
raverqueenage
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Feb 7, 2008
Location: Blackwood, NJ

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:37 pm   

Ummm a vet? You don't have the right to kill an animal just because you think it is dying.
1 Pekin Duck- Bumby
1 Adult Midland Painted Turtle- Nyx
2 Hatchling Midland Painted Turtles- Gimli, Marvolo
1 Normal Gray Cockatiel- Egore
User avatar
Bumby's Mom
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Jul 20, 2007

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:38 pm   

Bumby's Mom wrote:You don't have the right to kill an animal just because you think it is dying.




ditto.


:(
Kristel :)

1.0.0 RES- *Hurley
3.0.0 cats- *Joe *Jak *Pip
1.1.0 African Dwarf Frogs *Sharkey *Darla
1.2.6 Crested Geckos- *Striker*Izabella*Lil Lady*babies
1.0.0 Husband- *Dave
User avatar
raverqueenage
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Feb 7, 2008
Location: Blackwood, NJ

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:40 pm   

Is there any normal animal vet near you? Just your average simple pet vet. They should be able to euthanize it.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:47 pm   

I'll call tomorrow and see if they can and how much it costs. The place I got the turtle from is right across from the vet. I hope tey can do it. I feel sick to my stomach just thinking that he's in my room dying.
1.0.0 RES-Slash
1.2.0 Cat-Abby/Cali/Nemo
0.1.0 Yorkie-Lucie
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier-Cooper
I have lots of ideas! Trouble is, most of them suck!
User avatar
PcBuilder14
 
Posts: 1754
Joined: Jul 3, 2008
Location: Maud, Texas

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:20 pm   

I agree with what some others have said drop it off and say you found it if you cant part with the money, good luck
Herman and Lily - Red Ear Sliders
Molly - Dalmatian
Nipper - Jack Russell
Jazz, smooch, Kahu and Rufus - the Cats
Arie, Finlay, Caleb and Zac - the Boys
And Al - The Man!
User avatar
jacqui
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mar 12, 2008

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:48 pm   

Biting my tongue, i'm just going to bite my tongue..... :| :?
- Jessy
"Every breath we take is linked to the sea."
User avatar
zoologist
 
Posts: 1286
Joined: Jun 4, 2008
Location: Daytona, Fl

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:00 pm   

zoologist wrote:Biting my tongue, i'm just going to bite my tongue..... :| :?


Please do.
User avatar
Nettle
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Feb 19, 2008
Location: Ohayo

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:03 pm   

Someone said I should take it back to the pet store I got it from and give it back to them. It isn't really the money that's the problem for me its just that I don't have any money.
Last edited by PcBuilder14 on Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1.0.0 RES-Slash
1.2.0 Cat-Abby/Cali/Nemo
0.1.0 Yorkie-Lucie
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier-Cooper
I have lots of ideas! Trouble is, most of them suck!
User avatar
PcBuilder14
 
Posts: 1754
Joined: Jul 3, 2008
Location: Maud, Texas

Next

Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 185 guests