General Care Discussion :: Guts Showing?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:58 pm   Guts Showing?

Hello! When my two RES(3 - 4 inches) goes to the bathroom, the gut(? something black and has a tiny hole at the end which I suppose is the anus) gets pushed out and then back in, is that normal or the turtles are having some problem? Thank you very much.
Sammonkie
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sep 23, 2008

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:15 pm   

Can you get a pic of him doing this? Generally, if it retracts on it's own, you can safely assume it's the penis. It can be startling at first if you're not sure what you're looking at.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
User avatar
jenaero
Moderator
 
Posts: 3606
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:28 pm   

Thanks,Jenaero, but one of them is actually a girl!
Sammonkie
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sep 23, 2008

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:02 pm   

Is it happening with both of them? Try and get a pic.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
User avatar
jenaero
Moderator
 
Posts: 3606
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:44 pm   

[quote="TurtleLover_S&B"]Well,I don't understand what you're saying.Sorry...... :?[/quote]

Hi TurtleLover! Well, here's the situation: I have two turtles, each around 3 - 4 inches. Recently I observed that when they go to bathroom, especially the girl one, some internal organ which is black and with a tiny hold at the tip shows. I am not sure, but I suppose that the black thing is the intestine while the hole is the anus. I am wondering if that is normal?
Sammonkie
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sep 23, 2008

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:54 pm   

Oh,I understand what you're saying,but I don't know what's going on with your turtles.Sorry! :(
TurtleLover_S&B,

Squirt & Bubbles!The cutest turtles you've ever seen!!
User avatar
TurtleLover_S&B
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Sep 9, 2008
Location: Georgia

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:09 am   

Hmmm. How do you know one of them is a girl? They don't start differentiating so a person can tell the difference until they are at least 4" long. What you describe sounds an awful lot like male turtles "fanning", exposing their male organs. They do this a lot when they are maturing.

When they get to be at least 4" long, then the males start sprouting these impossibly long front toenails and their tales get longer and bigger. You can tell the females because they don't get the long front toenails and tails.
Last edited by SpotsMama on Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:12 am   

If it were exposed intestine it would have a more pink color to it I believe.
I think you've likely got a male on your hands who is going through puberty and showing his stuff, haha.
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
User avatar
megcornell
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 3206
Joined: Apr 30, 2006
Location: New York, NY

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:10 am   

[quote="SpotsMama"]Hmmm. How do you know one of them is a girl? They don't start differentiating so a person can tell the difference until they are at least 4" long. What you describe sounds an awful lot like male turtles "fanning", exposing their male organs. They do this a lot when they are maturing.

When they get to be at least 4" long, then the males start sprouting these impossibly long front toenails and their tales get longer and bigger. You can tell the females because they don't get the long front toenails and tails.[/quote]


Hi SpotMama! The genders of my turtles were actually told by the vet, and indeed I am seeing those typical differences on the nails, tail, and size, etc, that was how I told about the gender. This is happening to both of my turtles which I suppose are one boy and one girl, so I guess that isn't fanning. In fact, that happens more often with the 'girl', and that happens only when they go bathroom.
The internal organ looks very dark and has a tiny hole at the time; it comes out from the cloaca and then retracts; it is about the tail's length but flatter and broader, and highly symmetric. It may sound crazy but I suspect that is the rectum (and bladders) -- any clue?
Sammonkie
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sep 23, 2008

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:34 pm   

Hmmm. Still really sounds like a male turtle fanning. Here's a fairly good picture of what it looks like:


Image

And here's a link on this forum with a picture of a male fanning.

http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewt ... is&start=0

When my turtle was growing up, he would fan sometimes when he went to the bathroom. He would most often fan when I washed him in the sink after his breakfast and the water was slightly warmer than usual. He doesn't do it much any more - no girl turtles around so I guess there's just no point to it.

There are two medical problems that require some action on your part - an intestinal prolapse and a penile prolapse. Here's a link discussing them and what to do in case your turtle ever has the problem.

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/medinjuries.htm
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:40 pm   

Sorry for the double post.

My turtle started fanning before he sprouted his long front toenails. At the time, I thought he was constipated.

Here's a caution. If there are two turtles together and one sees the other fanning, he/she is apt to try to bite the exposed penis. The same thing can happen in case of an intestinal prolapse - the exposed intestine can be bitten. This can be disasterous for the turtle that's bitten of course. If there's any sign at all of aggression between your turtles, I'd separate them immediately.
Last edited by SpotsMama on Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:41 pm   

it seems most ppl's vets make the wrong evaluations and diagnosis, i guess you really need someone who is either a breeder or a herpetologist to give you some trust worthy advice

black, flat, and retracts = penis
SpenceMasta
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Aug 6, 2008
Location: nyc

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:31 pm   

Thanks so much,everyone! That really looks like what is going on with my turtles. So, I guess I actually have two boys... and I've been calling Trouble "good girl"!!! Oh boy... XD
Sammonkie
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sep 23, 2008

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:02 pm   

Don't worry - it happens all the time! How many turtles have we seen with names like "molly" or "sally" suddenly start sprouting long front toe nails and start fanning!

Some people think it's best to have boys. They don't get as big so don't need as much space and best of all, they don't lay eggs. On the other hand, they are even more aggressive than the girls and you need to watch carefully because some day they'll probably start fighting with each other and have to be separated.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:27 pm   

Thanks, SpotMama! If they fight... then they're gonna have a timeout n no treat for the week! :D Seriously, turtles are actually much more intelligent than most of us 'd give them credit for -- mine have already learned a few commands like 'stop', 'come here', 'wait', and 'turn', etc, and they seem to know it when they are bad! Trouble's the one that really knows how to play dumb and pretend when it is bad. One time when I caught it spitting out the carrot under the dock which I made it eat before eating the treat, it looked shocked and ran immediately! :D :D :D
Sammonkie
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sep 23, 2008

Next

Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 164 guests