General Care Discussion :: I think my RES is a boy...

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:01 pm   I think my RES is a boy...

I know this has been a topic before, but I'm still not positive, so I thought I'd ask what you guys think:

Image

Image

She (cause we always thought she was a girl) has really big claws, but kind of a small tail. And I've never seen a penis before...

Also, the tank will be cleaned tomorrow, so nevermind the grossness in the water. And I just gave her a plant to eat, so she's been making a mess of that.

And do you think those white spots on her shell are problematic?

Thanks for any help - these turtles are like aliens to me! I never know what the hell I'm supposed to be doing with her, but I love her (or him)![/img]
User avatar
Jelly
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Oct 28, 2009

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:26 pm   

I think it's a girl.
User avatar
happycamper
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: May 5, 2010
Location: Idaho
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:51 pm   

thats a female the claws are short
vic021
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Oct 11, 2009
Location: san antonio texas

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:55 pm   

Oh good! I was having trouble warming up to the idea of calling her a him. Thanks for the feedback!
User avatar
Jelly
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Oct 28, 2009

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:17 pm   

ha no problem and even though you think those claws are huge if you see a male that is scary haha i always thought my baby res had big claws then i ended up buying a full grown male and dang those claws were huge
vic021
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Oct 11, 2009
Location: san antonio texas

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:49 am   

Definitely female.

I had a hard time sexing my turtle too because there is nothing in her tank to wear her claws down, so her claws are medium length, but I can definitely tell by the tail length and width on yours and mine.
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:45 pm   

Definitely female. And the spots look like air bubbles, which are fine, just means the scutes are loose and working on shedding. But if you're really worried, take a pic of her shell after it's dry.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:25 am   

I thought my RES was a male too until my other RES developed male characteristics. If t hat's glass in the tank, I'd remove it and get something that won't break and fit into their mouths.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:16 pm   

With that tail, it looks like a female to me. What's with the yellow lipstick? Is it from that yellow object next to her?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:01 pm   

Yeah that yellow is wacky!
User avatar
happycamper
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: May 5, 2010
Location: Idaho
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:21 am   

Yeah thats a female and your not sppose to see his penis if he is a male if you do then thats a seroius problem
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:05 pm   

Ranger The Red Ear Slider wrote:Yeah thats a female and your not sppose to see his penis if he is a male if you do then thats a seroius problem


Actually, being flashed by your maturing male is quite common. As long as it doesn't remain exposed it's completely normal.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:39 pm   

untsmurf wrote:
Ranger The Red Ear Slider wrote:Yeah thats a female and your not sppose to see his penis if he is a male if you do then thats a seroius problem


Actually, being flashed by your maturing male is quite common. As long as it doesn't remain exposed it's completely normal.


Oh so you can sometimes see his penis?
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:55 pm   

Yeah, usually only as they are maturing into adulthood, I guess you could call it their teenage years. They might flutter at you or another object in the tank, then they'll get excited and start fanning (exposing their penis). The only time you have to worry about it is if it doesn't retract back into his body.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:25 pm   

Oh i never knew that so is that how they mate? the penis comes out of the shell?
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Next

Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 212 guests