General Care Discussion :: Help!!!

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:45 pm   Help!!!

I have been given the opportunity to rescue a 15 year old turtle.She is a RED EARED SLIDER and seems healthy. From front to back her shell measures to 10 to 11 inches. I do not know a thing about turtles but have extensive knowledge on the care of several other reptiles in my collection. So I am aware of dietary and lighting needs.
My problem is one of environment
She came in a 30 gallon tank.With a floating dock that resembles a rocky ramp for a basking site.
I want to give this girl a good home! and what she's been in all her life seems a little unstimulating! I do not have a larger tank at this time as it is holding my dragons. Could you guys send me pictures of a good set up for this turtle
Mark Steeves
 
Posts: 10
Joined: May 29, 2007

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:20 am   

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum! Have you visited the main site? RedEarSlider.com? It has just about all the info you need to know.

30 gallons is really small for a 10 inch turtle. It should be 10 gallons per inch. If you're like most people though, including myself, you can't just run out and buy a big ol tank. I saved up and found a GREAT deal, but what a lot of people are doing is buying those big rubbermaids from Wal Mart, like the 60 gallons. That would be a good start for her if she's use to a 30 gallon.

You'll want the water temp at about 76F, the basking temp at about 88F.

Here are some pics of my setups:

135 gallon (Crush and Squirt):
Image

55 Gallon (Donny and Spike):
Image


Good luck! Glad she's got someone who's looking forward to taking care of her!
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(3T Box) Manny & Isabella
(Dog) Ember
User avatar
RunninWideOpen
 
Posts: 807
Joined: Feb 20, 2007
Location: St Louis, MO

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:20 am   

Hi Mark,

Yes, your girl should have about a 100 gallon tank. My Spot, who's not quite 7", lives in a 100 gallon tank. Here's his setup:

Image

If you'll brouse the photo section you can see lot's of nice setups, some for big girls like yours. Here's a couple featuring the home of a turtle named Sheba:

http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewt ... ight=sheba

http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewt ... ight=sheba

Also, look through the photo gallery in the Habitat section on the main site (not Turtle Talk but where the info is). Lots of good ideas there.

http://www.redearslider.com/habitat_gallery.html
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:29 am   Thanks guys!!!

I just got her into the tank that came with her the 30 gallon and man oh man she needs a bigger tank!!!Your right though I'm like every one else and cannot afford a larger one at this time. But no worries one coming soon!!
I for the mean time am going to build an outside pond for her and encase her in a cage made out of chicken wire complete with a buried bottom!!! I live in Canada and get 3 or 4 months of hot weather coming figure I can can up with something bigger by fall. Until than I will look into a rubber made.
Oh Yeah I think she is a he. The owner says she has never seen it lay and it has never had a place to do so. Could this be a problem if it is female? Its front claws are fairly long but not like the pictures I've seen.I will get some pictures up tomorrow
Thank you for your help guys and girls[/img]
Also need advice on Turtle Clean. A biological Reduction of Turtle Waste.
Also how do I upload photos on this forum?
Mark Steeves
 
Posts: 10
Joined: May 29, 2007

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:38 am   

You don't need Turtle Clean. A good filter and regular water changes would be more beneficial.

Here is some reading for you:
www.redearslider.com/startup.html

and how to post images:
www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1811
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:38 am   

I don' think females ALWAYS lay eggs.....but I could be wrong. Males don't usually get to be that big I don't think. It sounds like you've seen the pictures, they have extremely long claws and a really big fat long tail. Also, their carapace (belly) is concave. Can't wait to see your pictures!

You can't upload any pics to this server. You need to have them hosted somewhere else and then use the (img)(/img) code with the url inbetween, and the () are actually [].

Sounds like you've got a good setup planned for her. I don't know much about ponds. If there are any unique concerns you'll need to worry about with an outoor pond I'm sure someone else will come along and relay that to ya.
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(3T Box) Manny & Isabella
(Dog) Ember
User avatar
RunninWideOpen
 
Posts: 807
Joined: Feb 20, 2007
Location: St Louis, MO

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:42 am   

Here's how to post a photo:

http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1811

Outside pond is primo! And pretty too. Caution on the chicken wire: Turtles climb it like a ladder. They can climb almost any fencing with holes. They are stunningly athletic.

At her size, I'd agree she's probably female. The males don't generally get that large. It's odd that she hasn't been laying eggs. Maybe she hasn't because the conditions were so poor. In which case, watch out! She may start now. Have you read the section on turtle reproduction on the info part of this site?

I use Turtle Clean and like it. Some of the people on here don't use it and don't like it.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:46 am   

That is true.......I know they don't like laying their eggs in the water. I've heard they can actually absorb eggs back into their body if unable to lay them, but that's dangerous and unhealthy.
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(3T Box) Manny & Isabella
(Dog) Ember
User avatar
RunninWideOpen
 
Posts: 807
Joined: Feb 20, 2007
Location: St Louis, MO

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:53 am   here's some pictures

ImageHere She is finnally I'm on dil up and can only upload at 2kb hope this works!!!
Mark Steeves
 
Posts: 10
Joined: May 29, 2007

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:21 am   

That is a link to your album ( http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/marksteeves/ ). I don't know what picture you wanted to post, but here is this one...
Image

Your RES looks very nice, how long have you had her?
Really Awesome Text Loading...
███████████
▒▒▒▒ 78%

RES's
Tank, SCL 3.75in.
Diesel, SCL 3in.
User avatar
N4784N R4613
 
Posts: 1340
Joined: Jul 18, 2006
Location: Phila. PA.

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:31 am   

She's one big girl alright! :D She looks like she's in shed too.

(Thanks for posting that pic, Nathan!)
User avatar
DavidY
 
Posts: 4391
Joined: Mar 9, 2007
Location: New Hampshire
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:40 am   

Oh, hey, lol. Bigger pictures are easier to see, whodathunk.

It does look like she is shedding. Sorry Mark, you can disregard those shell comments I made.
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(3T Box) Manny & Isabella
(Dog) Ember
User avatar
RunninWideOpen
 
Posts: 807
Joined: Feb 20, 2007
Location: St Louis, MO

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:25 pm   

Oh yeh she is in full shed and seems pretty healthy and very strong. she even scoots accross the floor at a pretty quick pace!!!
She is feeding well and likes bananas and kiwi,. dew worms and gold fish.
She is a very messy eater and regurgitates her food and re-eats it. I have Turtle food pellets and sticks but am holding off as I learn what she needs. I'd rather feed her as natural as possible. I am aware of the need for calcium and Vit.D and have all the vits she will need as my other lizards require them. It's just that She has thus far only eaten in the water and I dont know how I'm going to get powders into her food source without washing it of in the water of the tank.
I'm going to try her on raw hamburger than add the vits. in as I'm sure she is suffering from lack of calcium and a poor diet Her shell has a lot of pits in it like old scars it is very hard but bumpy. their is no shell rot that the vet could find.
Mark Steeves
 
Posts: 10
Joined: May 29, 2007

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:29 pm   

You'll never guess what my 6 year old wants to call her???

WE are partial to Matilda any Ideas?
Mark Steeves
 
Posts: 10
Joined: May 29, 2007

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:37 pm   

oh, in addition to my other msg....

I just noticed that you said raw hamburger...... I'm not sure about hamburger anyway, but I don't think they're suppose to be fed raw meat at all (other than the bugs and such they eat). Someone will prolly come along that knows for sure.

Next time I'll just write my message in hear instead of us both going back and forth, lol. :)
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(3T Box) Manny & Isabella
(Dog) Ember
User avatar
RunninWideOpen
 
Posts: 807
Joined: Feb 20, 2007
Location: St Louis, MO

Next

Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 200 guests