General Care Discussion :: I didn't realize

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:26 pm   

Thats awsome, an exotic name.

Titi is so cute!
"I forever stay your perfect enemy" - t.A.T.u
haimish321
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Jul 1, 2007

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:29 pm   

its Tito.....
and thank you
Tito-- Baby RES

~~Safdar~~
User avatar
Safdar
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: Jul 29, 2007
Location: Houston, TX

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:31 pm   

Sorry typo. lol
"I forever stay your perfect enemy" - t.A.T.u
haimish321
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Jul 1, 2007

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:32 pm   

I think that is extremely sweet of your parents! I thought they were being pretty tough but they really do care. I am excited too that your turtles are doing well.

Betadine is a good all purpose antiseptic. If your turtle gets hurt you can use it to disinfect. Another good antiseptic is Hibiclense. You get this the same kind of place you get betadine - someplace like Walgreens. I give the advantage to Hibiclense because it's easier on living tissue so that it heals faster. If you haven't gotten anything yet for an antiseptic then I'd go for Hibiclense. Both betadine and hibiclense are primarily for humans but you can use them for your pets too.

Another way to treat fungus is with zoo med's Turtle Sulfa Dip. It's quite inexpensive - all you have to do is follow the directions on the box.

So....know you know at least one of your turtles is a male. That means he's probably about 4" long. Does that sound right?

Since your parents were willing to help with a vet expense maybe they'll be willing to help get some good equipment for the turtles. $200 would get an awful lot of good equipment. I'll bet if you were willing to help work for it they'd be willing to do it. You don't need everything at once but if you can get it altogether before the weather starts getting cool that would be good.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:37 pm   

Nope. I saw it ding-dong, i told my parents.
"I forever stay your perfect enemy" - t.A.T.u
haimish321
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Jul 1, 2007

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:43 pm   

If it were me, I'd get that UVB light, get the basking area temp in a good range (88-90F), make sure they could get on the basking area easily and give them the opportunity to bask. Take your turtles outside when it's sunny when you can. From what I remember of your turtles' pics, the "fungus" didn't look that bad. You could give them salt water soaks using aquarium salt to help treat fungus in really early stages. Basking under correct lighting is important.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:49 pm   

Yes, without the UVB light the turtles will get soft shell and fungus.

Salt water is okay, but only as a soak.
Dr.VildGarcia
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Aug 16, 2007
Location: California

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:10 pm   

What did the vet say about not growing?
Was it parasites
Tito-- Baby RES

~~Safdar~~
User avatar
Safdar
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: Jul 29, 2007
Location: Houston, TX

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:54 pm   

No she said it is normal slow and steady growth.
"I forever stay your perfect enemy" - t.A.T.u
haimish321
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Jul 1, 2007

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:02 pm   

Why does she have to do a TEST to see what gender they where can she not tell by looking [!!!] ???????
Bearded Dragon 1.2.0 (Brutus, Lazarus & Alice)
Leopard Gecko 0.1.0 (Nicolette)
YBS 0.1.0 (Kai)
Royal Python 1.1.0 (Daemon & Cleo)
Western Hognose 1.1.0 (Jericho & Big Bertha)
Corn Snake(dads) 1.0.0 (Typhus)
Fancy Rats 0.2.0 (Milo & Syla)
User avatar
kaimarion
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Jul 25, 2007
Location: Scotland

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:32 pm   

Whatever
She said the vet told her its because of no UVB
Tito-- Baby RES

~~Safdar~~
User avatar
Safdar
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: Jul 29, 2007
Location: Houston, TX

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:36 pm   

well, technically the vet cant tell the sex of her turtles because her turtles are still too little. I'm not aware of any test that a vet can do to determine what sex the turtle is, though.
1.1.0Trachemys scripta elegans
0.0.1Sternotherus odoratus
1.1.0Platemys platycephala
0.1.0Pelomedusa subrufa subrufa
0.0.1.Graptemys pseudogeographica
User avatar
xsavingsaturdayx
 
Posts: 2149
Joined: Sep 22, 2006
Location: Miami Beach, FL

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:16 pm   

not what it said on the form that tells u how the turt is doing
"I forever stay your perfect enemy" - t.A.T.u
haimish321
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Jul 1, 2007

Previous

Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 355 guests