General Care Discussion :: Guts Showing?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:08 pm   

Hey! So I guess my turtles were fanning... but they both are no more than 18 months old and neither are they over 3.5 inches. Are they maturing a little too fast? They aren't fat at all and are and fed on a combination of pellets, veggies, and an additional little bit of protein. The water temp is at the lower end. Any input? Thanks.

P.S. Trouble, the one that we thought was girl, has short nails, smaller tail, and everything else that describes a girl turtle. Is that normal?
Sammonkie
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sep 23, 2008

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:48 pm   

Just keep an eye on her and see if "she" doesn't start sprouting long toenails and tail in a few months. It isn't unusual for captive turtles to mature that early. If they're only 3.5 inches at 18 months, then they aren't growing too fast.

Love to see some pictures!
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:09 am   

Hey everyone! Today I caught Turbo fanning again. For a split second when his organ really got out, I also saw his intestine which retracted immediately. Is that normal? Thanks.
Sammonkie
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sep 23, 2008

Post Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:27 pm   

Are you certain you saw both?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:33 pm   

If the intestine frequently shows when you turtle is fanning, then it sounds like something might be amiss. I'd keep an eye on it.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:55 pm   

steve wrote:Are you certain you saw both?


Hey Steve! Yeah, I saw something pinkish and was pretty surethat was the intestine -- but it show only for less than a second.
Sammonkie
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sep 23, 2008

Post Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:57 pm   

marisa wrote:If the intestine frequently shows when you turtle is fanning, then it sounds like something might be amiss. I'd keep an eye on it.


Hi Marisa! It was the first time I saw that happened even and it was for less than a second. What did you mean by something amiss if it happens frequently? Thanks.
Sammonkie
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sep 23, 2008

Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:15 pm   

I meant that if it was really happening frequently, something might be wrong. Fanning is one thing, an intestional prolapse is another.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Previous

Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 229 guests