General Care Discussion :: Cloudy water

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:14 pm   

Mech Cb - The only danger the water poses is if the ammonia levels get too high. Since you have a smaller filter, I doubt there is a bacteria cycle going, if there was, then you'd need to worry about the nitrate levels. You can get test strips or just get in the habit of replaced at least 25% of the water probably weekly on your tank size. The bigger concern would be for your fish. Turtles can survive far worse conditions than fish!

mmanchuso - 2 x 4" turtles need at least 80 gallons of water, and you have them in 25. That's way too small, so basically you have too much biowaste for your filter and tank to handle. I'd recommend looking into an upgrade because those turtles will only get larger and you'll need the extra room. For the moment, fill up the tank more, if you can, get it closer to at least 40 gallons, and see if that helps with the cloudiness. However, an actual upgrade will be the best option for you.
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
User avatar
TheComputerGremlin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3732
Joined: Jan 12, 2008
Location: Washington, DC

Post Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:07 pm   

Hey, thanks again! That's exactly what I was looking for. The housing that I'm in pays my water bill for me, so I ran to the store and got some of that stuff that you put with tap water. Since I've bought that, I've been replacing almost half the water the last two days in a row. The water is looking WAY better after it, so I'm gonna let it sit for about another week before I mess with it again. I found out you can get water test strips, so I'll be getting those along with my tank/filter upgrade on the first. So far it all seems to be going good, and Tex(our turtle finally got a name!) has even been enjoying his basking area. He also does this thing where when someone hangs out by his cage, he'll get in the water and follow them around. So thanks for the help getting me started everyone. After I get the bigger tank and get the water situation permanantly fixed, I'll have pictures and stories to come!
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my sig is useless. Without my sig, I am useless.
Mech Cb
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Jul 17, 2009
Location: Georgia

Post Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:18 pm   

I forgot to add, he still has those guppies that he's decided to keep around. I figure as long as he doesn't want to eat them, I'll take care of them. I kind of like them-they liven up the scene. I guess he likes the company.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my sig is useless. Without my sig, I am useless.
Mech Cb
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Jul 17, 2009
Location: Georgia

Previous

Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 162 guests