General Care Discussion :: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:44 am   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

Oops nothing is easy with me :)
My garden soil is full of fertilizers and bug killer....so....I have a bag of spaghum peat moss, planting soil, and compost (all fertilizer free)
Then I'll drop the subject (or move it) - I Promise!!!!!!! :)
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:51 am   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

Just grab it from someone else's yard :)
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:59 am   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

Now, that is funny!!!!
Thanks for the laugh.
Guess my dad will be getting a surprise visit tomorrow :)
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:45 am   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

I am soooooooo sorry to keep belaboring this...
Facts:
February 21 - vet check, no "lumps" (AKA eggs)
March 05 - started showing signs of straining (pink hind end)
March 07 - Vet felt lumps that were not there before ; did x-ray; saw 5 eggs ready to drop and two not ready to lay.
March 09 - Induced; 5 out - 2 remain
March 20 - No new eggs; back in tank.

So....how long between clutches?
From what I have re-read of her history, the last clutch appeared between Feb 21 and March 05 (21 days +/-)
Nothing new at the last visit on March 20 (15 days after induced)
So how long do I wait?
No current signs of being gravid or straining...
I just don't want to screw up again.
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:42 am   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

Its about a month between clutches but i really dont think you will see another clutch all this stuff has been happening to her. Im sure it stressed her and would tell her body this is a bad time for eggs. Usually only really healthy larger adults lay more then one clutch of eggs.
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
User avatar
Diamondbacks4Life
Moderator
 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Apr 4, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:22 pm   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

Oh my goodness how'd it go?? I haven't been here in a while.
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
User avatar
vear
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Sep 2, 2009
Location: New York
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:39 pm   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

@vear - she is hanging in there! and looking good!

@Diamondbacks4Life - So, assuming my little egg check tomorrow is negative, ya think its safe to do away with the nest in her tank?
She is looking happy and healthy, but glad to hear that Mother Nature has common sense :)
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:58 am   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

Good to hear! =)
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
User avatar
vear
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Sep 2, 2009
Location: New York
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:00 am   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

Checked for eggs today - didn't feel any - ditched the nest from the tank.
Put a nest area in the walk-in closet just in case.
Maybe that's the end of this particular component of the nightmare.
Thanks to all for helping end a chapter in this sage for good!!!
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:25 am   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

So what to make of this...

Sitting there working and hear "scratch, scratch, scratch" - turn around, and Penelope is just hanging out on her dock with her legs straight out, like she often does when soaking basking.
I go back to business and hear "scratch, scratch, scratch" again. I turn around and she is scratching the dock with her hind legs as one would do when scratching dirt.
I thinking, hmmmm...no signs of being gravid (i.e., trying to escape and other escapades), so I go back to my business again

"scratch, scratch, scratch" - now when I look, she has "assumed the position" and has her head extended. After about 5 minutes she stops, pulls her head in deep inside her shell, curls her tail and sits there.

So after a about 10 more minutes of the hermit routine, I checked her out. Her tail was turning pinkish as it did the last time she was straining.
I decided to take her out for some sunshine (and dirt) just in case...
I left her surrounded by 3 foot peg board (with a wire cover) as I go to get a water tray for her. It could not have been more than 3-4 minutes. When I get there, I see she had climbed to the very top, pushed off the wire and was on her way out! Geez!
OK - so scrap that idea.
Into a super tall, smooth sided bin with dirt on the bottom. She spent more time trying to escape than anything, so I off to plan "C"
I figured heck with it! put towels on the bathroom floor, took a bin and turned it on it's side - a mound of dirt 8 or so inches high - and left her to wander the bathroom. I left her there for a couple hours and could see she had scrounged around in the dirt, but no eggs.
He tail did not seem to be as pink as it was earlier...
That was around 5 pm.

Lights out at 9pm. There she is - hanging on her log, contorted in the "position"once again. I just shut the lights and walked away.

I went to take a peek a few minutes ago, and she is now hidden in the fake bamboo - tail raised, head out and couldn't see much more. Again - I just walked away.

So....she has not been showing signs of being gravid (crazy and trying to escape), but she has been sleeping more than usual and retracting her head more than usual the past two or three days, and tonight is the first time since resuming her appetite that she has not eaten her dinner.

I'm thinking if her tail area is pink again tomorrow, I will have to call the vet only because of the signs of straining...but other than scratching her dock and odd positioning, I don't see gravid behavior.
Trust me, she is definitely not constipated.

I stopped the over-thinking, over protective, analyzing every move stuff after her last vet visit...yet this strikes me as weird
I am just a little confused as to what to make of this.

Thoughts?
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:31 pm   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

Was she scratching with both legs? My RES will usually scratch and twist their legs a few times while basking.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:49 pm   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

Hmm. Good question. I'll make note if she does it today. The pink on her tail has subsided a lot. Glad to hear other guys and gals scratch their docks for fun. I thought it odd because she shows no other signs of being gravid. Last year she laid them in the water, so the dock dance left me scratching my head.
So unless she gets a pink tail, I will continue to just chill :)
Thanks!
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:35 pm   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

I don't think they are intentionally scratching though... just throwing and adjusting their limbs. The scratching is incidental.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:04 am   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

hmmm maybe that's what my turtle's doing, scratching without intending to.
muiyo
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Feb 20, 2012

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:04 am   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

How's Penelope now?
darla1699
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Mar 16, 2012

PreviousNext

Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 287 guests