General Care Discussion :: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:27 pm   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

She won't give them up!
2 large, and one itty-bitty one (vet says its probably a remnant that didn't get absorbed from last year).
I was quite disappointed to see that they were under calcified. Not as bad as last year, deficient nonetheless. It burst my bubble. She's had quite a day and is sleeping. I am supposed to let her take over the bathroom for a few days so she gets comfy in the environment, and then maybe she will give them up.
I'd say she is comfy already - she barricaded herself in there a couple of times.
IMAG0941.jpg
Bathroom Takeover
IMAG0940.jpg
How to keep humans out? Become a turtle doorstop.
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:05 am   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

penelope, do you think increasing the cuttlebone intake will make the eggs more okay (not under calcified)? i'm gathering questions in preparation for nesting and this thread is super helpful.
FAREWELL DUMBORK
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36799

follow my blog: dumbork.wordpress.com
youtube: pawii29

pictures and video
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32931
User avatar
dumbork14
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Jun 18, 2012
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:06 am   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

@dumbork - it certainly cannot hurt. However, there is no quick-hit - little little turtle gals need a good diet over time.

I just learned that despite a year of meticulously providing a high-calcium diet (not counting supplements), a proper / happy / well-used basking area, and making sure the UVB was in good shape (e.g., changing the UVB before it's end-of-life), she still has a calcium issue.

All I can say is that it obviously takes twice as long (or more) to recover from a poor diet than it does for a poor diet to have a negative effect (if that makes sense).

Basically, her first clutch was good (strong shell like chicken eggs). I am not sure what happened last year...was it a snowball effect of being dry-docked for months, not eating for weeks on end and fighting a serious health issue while her little body was trying to develop eggs? I don't know.

This year, however, I am confused. Yes. Her shed is / was cruddy, but I thought it was due to last year's crud. Her nails grew back long and strong after they fell out. I just don't get it.

Which brings me to the current state:

As I mentioned, she won't give up her eggs.

Penelope's tummy was completely empty when the vet took x-rays and she has not eaten since, with the exception of two very small slivers of tuna. To get her to eat those, I had to put her in a small bin so they were "in her face"
She won't touch her beloved Belgium endive, the pellets piled up in the filter intake. I put her endive, and then pellets, and then tuna on her dock under her nose - no reaction. They sat there all day.

So we are on day 6 of no food.

Her eyes are getting buggy, and she spends most of her time retracted in her shell...it is just so sad.

Yesterday afternoon she stuck her head in the water for a few minutes (guessing she was taking a drink). About an hour later, I see drops of water coming out of the side of her mouth. Then it spilled out of her mouth on to the dock. How to describe??? Ummm...it was the same thing as when she used to "spit out" out her oral meds - only this happened a good hour after drinking. Quite disturbing.

Last night she jumped in her tank after the basking lights shut off and sunk to the bottom.
I played with her a bit and she swam to the top, but didn't show a whole lot of strength. After giving her a super quick back scratch (30 seconds or less), she sunk to the bottom.
Considering the distance from the bottom of her tank to the top, and her weak swimming ability, I have dry docked her.
She is in the bathroom with towels, a heating pad and a space heater to keep the temp at 80 degrees.

I am debating between putting her back in her tank tomorrow or not. Most likely, I will keep her dry-docked and feed her in her bin. That way she has access to a nest (if she decides to lay eggs), I know she won't drown, I can monitor feeding, and not stress her out going back and forth between nest and tank.

She was just at the vet and was cleared to come home. I am supposed to go back in one month if she does not lay them on her own UNLESS she shows signs of stress, illness, straining, etc. I am going to give the vet a call on Tuesday and see what she recommends.
and so it goes...
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:47 am   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

So they vet didn't give her Oxytocin? How has the SJ weather been like? When my RES was gravid, she preferred it during days after a rain storm. I'm not sure how she sensed it but it happened both times she was gravid.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:37 am   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

No Oxytocin; they were still too high (half way between the ovaries and lined up to lay).
The weather started in the 60's last weekend and has increased to the mid-70's
Vet prefers nature over meds whenever possible, and preferred that I try to make Penelope comfortable in her "nesting zone"
She straight out said to go ahead and let Penelope live in the bathroom 24 X7, offering food and water of course.
If Penelope starts showing signs of stress the Vet will try to Oxytocin.
I tried leaving Penelope in her tank, but its not looking like a good idea right now.

I think Penelope fits the "stress" bill, so I will call on Tuesday (one week after the first visit).
In the meantime, Penelope is officially dry-docked.
Just hoping she falls in love with her bathroom and lays eggs.
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:08 am   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

Has she shown any of the frantic climbing signs of wanting to lay eggs? I guess not wanting to lay them and not ready to lay them are separate issues.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:40 am   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

She was going psycho - so I placed in her nesting area. This occurred over a period of a week.
Then she started digging with her hind legs in the sand substrate of her tank, immediately followed by obvious straining.
In the nesting area, there were clear signs of digging, but no eggs.
When she started straining I took her to the vet.
Now she stopped eating, stopped acting gravid, has bug eyes and simply doesn't move, except to wander a bit in the bathroom before planting herself on the heating pad I have under a towel.
Basically, she was acting gravid/psycho and seemed to be trying to lay eggs. Now, she does not do any thing but just lay there.
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:05 am   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

Yesterday - one eye closed 50% of the time
IMAG0944.jpg
yesterday- One-eyed wonder

Position since 5pm (8 hours) not moved
IMAG0945.jpg

out of the 8 hours, this was only about 10%of the time - same one-eyed wonder
IMAG0948.jpg
More one-eyed thing


Bought a space heater, so the bathroom is a toasty 79 degrees. She just doesn't look like a happy camper.
it stinks!!!
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:38 pm   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

GOT ONE!!!!!
Kept her out all night. She was still a blob in the morning. She ate afew bites of tuns. Put her in her tank to get a supervised swim, and boom...almost immediately she popped this one out on her floating basket.
:msgreen:
Two to go!
IMAG0949.jpg
The golden egg.
IMAG0949.jpg (10.52 KiB) Viewed 7611 times
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:45 pm   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

Wow, I just read this whole thread. What an ordeal for you and Penelope!! I'm so happy she laid her egg and hope the other two soon follow so she can resume normal life.
:mrgreen: Bill - RES
Dixie, Georgia, and Scrappy - cats
User avatar
ataraxiamb
 
Posts: 357
Joined: Feb 15, 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:55 am   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

Woohoo, let's have more progress Penelope! What a trooper (both of you)!
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:51 am   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

How's Penelope? Any more eggs?
:mrgreen: Bill - RES
Dixie, Georgia, and Scrappy - cats
User avatar
ataraxiamb
 
Posts: 357
Joined: Feb 15, 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:11 am   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

Not yet.
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:07 am   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

No more eggs. She has been spunky since she laid the baby one.
Today she started showing the first signs of fatigue, like she did a few days before laying the last one.
I'll keep an eye on her...in the meantime, my bathroom remains a dirt/sand pit - uhhgh
The vet called to check in on her. Penelope is coming up on 2 weeks since her vet visit. Since she is eating and active, we'll give it two more weeks before she goes in for Oxytocin.
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:16 am   Re: X-Ray of Mama w/ Eggs

Any chance she could have snuck an egg or two past you?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

PreviousNext

Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 255 guests