General Care Discussion :: Good gracious....

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:54 pm   Good gracious....

Wow. So I come home a few minutes ago, after being out for maybe 3 or so hours. My little sister goes upstairs to play a game in her room, and I here a bloodcurdling scream. "AH THERE'S A TURTLE ON THE FLOOOOOOOR!" So I run upstairs and find my 3 inch baby, Tinkerbell, inside her shell on the floor in my hallway covered in fuzz. Of course, I was so scared that she was dead. I swear, my heart stopped for a minute. I took her into the bathroom and washed the fuzz off, checked her for injuries, and put her back in her tank. I can't BELIEVE she's okay, the tank is a good 4 feet off the ground, and there's plenty of furniture in my room she could have gotten stuck behind, but instead she walked the 20 feet into the middle of the hallway where we found her. I swear, she's a genius. :D
Wow. So has anyone else had any scares like this? Don't worry, I found out how she escaped and fixed the problem.
User avatar
turtlesrock77
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Aug 25, 2006
Location: Virginia

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:07 pm   

A fall like that is a serious thing. I'm glad there were no obvious injuries, but keep an eye out for lopsided swimming, gasping for breath, fluid from the mouth or nose, red in the seams of the plastron or any other signs of distress or behavior change.
Napoleon - Western Painted Turtle
Apollo - Eastern Box Turtle
Moxie - Painted Turtle Mutt
RIP Hercules

Katie

I heart my herpies!
User avatar
Starchick
 
Posts: 1399
Joined: Jan 3, 2007
Location: central NY

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:56 pm   

That happened to me like a year ago. I came home one day and checked in on Mikey to find that he wasn't there. I assumed he was hiding somewhere so I just got settled in. Then as I kept looking and moving around his furniture, I realized he wasn't in his tank. I ran out and yelled at all my roommates ( I lived with three guys at the time) about taking my turtle and how it wasn't funny. After none of them fessed up, I tore my room apart. I finally found him underneath the middle of my bed. As soon as I found him, he looked up at me and I swear he grinned at me. He got a lid the next day.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:16 pm   

i have had a scare like this when i was cleaning nimrods tank.
i had put him in a pie pan, and i had put stuff around it so he couldnt get out, or so i thought, and when i turned around, HE WAS GONE! and i searched everywhere, and at the time, there were a bunch of clothes on my floor, so i was carefully searching through them, and then i thought i should look in the most dangerous places for him to be first, like behind my computer where all the electric stuff was, and ofcourse. there he was. but luckily he didnt get to any of the power outlets, he was attempting to get over a big bundle of cords when i found him.

pretty scary when that happens =/
-celebrities are soon forgotten, legends are forever remembered.


be legendary.
User avatar
rockstar
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Jun 23, 2007
Location: Moses Lake, Washington

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:55 am   

I had a scare like this with Spike. Couldn't find him for over a day.

Glad to hear she's ok! Like Starchick said, keep an eye on her. There could be other injuries.
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(3T Box) Manny & Isabella
(Dog) Ember
User avatar
RunninWideOpen
 
Posts: 807
Joined: Feb 20, 2007
Location: St Louis, MO

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:00 am   

The EXACT same thing happened to me! My little sis found Serra behind the toilet covered with fuzz! I was so worried but she wasn't harmed
2 Chinese Goldenthread turtles ~ Miso&Mafan
1 Chinese Box turtle ~ Chief Lemon
2 Redfoot Tortoises ~ Sheegua & Muugua
1 Toy Poodle ~ Pudding
3 firebellied newts ~ Cassandra, Mr.Poo, and Wiggles.

http://flickr.com/photos/the_naturalist
User avatar
Tenodera
 
Posts: 2886
Joined: Mar 5, 2007
Location: Taichung, Taiwan

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:29 pm   

Same thing happened to me, but sadly it was all my fault. :-(I took Tortarita out for some sun, and placed her in the grass on the side of my house. I take my eye off of her for a second, and she's gone!! I spent two hours searching that same patch of grass, digging into the ground and then by a whim I decided to check the front patio. I stood on the side, (its a patio with four large columns, and about twenty small ones all around creating a boxed off patio). I starried at the tile searching for something moving and then on the oppisite side stuck between a column and the wall is Tortarita. The was the scariest experince I've had by far. But thankfully I found her :-D
1 RES: Tortarita :-D
1 Box turtle: Squirt :-D
1 Chameleon: Neptune :-D

Hope is the strongest weapon the heart can hold.
Aqua8
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Jul 20, 2007


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 148 guests