General Care Discussion :: Mystery film on waters surface

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:19 am   Mystery film on waters surface

Howdy folks.

A slimy something has appeared on the surface of Zucchini's water. First time it showed up I did a partial change of water, and it did not appear for about 10 days. It looks oily and is slimy to the touch. Above the waterline is not visible from under the water.

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/4779/mw15ad8.jpg

It also did not show up prior to having my XP3... I have the media that came with, and a package of Fluval Biomax bacteria helper thingamajiggers (added later). Anyone have a clue what it could be?
User avatar
EmperorTunaFish
 
Posts: 594
Joined: Sep 6, 2007
Location: Oshawa, ON

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:02 am   

What is the size of your tank? What are sizes of your turtle? What are the temps in the water and basking (lighing)? What is the gph of your filter/pump? What are you feeding your turtles? How often and how much? How often are you making your 50% water changes? What are the amnomia, nitrites and nitrates levels?
mikee
 
Posts: 1396
Joined: Nov 4, 2007

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:17 am   

Any time I feed Leo anything that I've soaked in tuna, I usually get a film on the top of the water.....if that helps at all.
kevin
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sep 24, 2007

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:08 pm   

That's what my water used to look like when I had my turtle in a tiny tank with little water. I assumed it was oil buildup from the bad water conditions. I would hope that your filter would take care of it. How long have you been filtering the water?
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
User avatar
TheComputerGremlin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3732
Joined: Jan 12, 2008
Location: Washington, DC

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:26 pm   

I've gotten that film on the water any time I fed my turtle any kind of meat product treats in her tank (like cooked chicken). Sometimes it comes from her waste after she has eaten a meat product. The film you are talking about is just a light layer of oil/fat & is not harmful to their health.
Kristin's Pond! Starring:

RES = "Sheba", 21+ yrs. old
African Clawed Frog = "Prog", 10 yrs old
& "Kristin" as Momma
User avatar
industrial_girl_2000
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3232
Joined: May 11, 2006
Location: Farmington Hills, MI

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:32 pm   

If you're not feeding your turtle oily food in the tank and you're seeing a film, try positioning the outlet so that it agitates the surface of the water a little. It will help with films that often occur with surfaces that lack movement.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:52 pm   

Adjust the filter outtake so that it is disturbing the water surface. If there is not enough agitation on the surface of the water it will develop this film.
confrontinglife
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Jan 3, 2007

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:44 pm   

Probably organic wastes and proteins. Comes from everything, but mostly pellets and meat. A spectrally colorfull film, that looks like an oil slick or puddle at the gas station is fine and harmless. Add some water agitation to keep it from asphixiating the surface gas exchange and you can add carbon or replenish, if you haven't. If it urks you too much, you can get a protein skimmer.
User avatar
Cramer
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Dec 21, 2007
Location: Upstate, NY

Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:23 pm   

I have had this on the top of my water before too. Its really annoying! What I did was the same thing that Marisa suggested to do. It really helps a lot.
3 turtles,
3 cats,
& fish.
User avatar
emma
 
Posts: 2031
Joined: Aug 28, 2007
Location: Minnesota

Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:42 pm   

I had the same problem I switch my XP3 outlet from the spray bar too the nozzle which created more motion in the water which not only got rid of the stuff at the top but my tank stays a bit cleaner.
User avatar
Vtolds
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Nov 5, 2007
Location: Stowe, VT

Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:45 pm   

If you get a bubble stick and air pump the bubbles will take care of it.
1 Pekin Duck- Bumby
1 Adult Midland Painted Turtle- Nyx
2 Hatchling Midland Painted Turtles- Gimli, Marvolo
1 Normal Gray Cockatiel- Egore
User avatar
Bumby's Mom
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Jul 20, 2007

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:09 am   

I had it too! I found that those levely shiny rocks i had in the tank were waxed to shine. Took em out, rinsed and returned. It went away.
1 RES Tiny
1 Cat Rascal
User avatar
Tiny
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Feb 21, 2008
Location: Upstate NY

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:21 am   

the same thing happens to me. I think its stuff comin out of my filter
~1 juvenile RES --*no name*
~2 adult Eastern Box Turtles --*Roxie*&*Shelli*
~KaTie~
User avatar
SaweetTURTLE:)
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Aug 14, 2007

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:14 am   

It's protein. The best way to take care of it is water surface agitation which means either a bubbler or to position your filter outlet above the surface.
sai_dee
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Oct 26, 2007

Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:48 pm   

I too, have had that same stuff on my water surface...

i put my old tetra, in-tank, lil "repti filter" thing in to break the water surface and i havent seen it since..and it adds for alittle waterfall kinda..ha.. (i have my xp3 output tube vertical so it really splashes water around if i move it up, water level drops faster)

but anyways, i found this topic by searching for "skimmer"..

and im wondering if anyone here uses one?..and what brand?..im interested in getting one to free up space...

i was checking this one out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aquarium-Fish-Tank- ... dZViewItem

cheap but looks effective..

and finally, im wondering if anyone would oppose skimmers.. turtle getting caught up in it somehow?...my turtle is between 3-4 inches..
Twoster
 
Posts: 161
Joined: May 14, 2007
Location: Norf Curalinah

Next

Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 300 guests