General Care Discussion :: shedding

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:39 pm   shedding

after posting a few newer pics of my turtles, one reply stated that one of my turtles is due for a shedding, I presume shedding of scutes. Is there anything one can do to aid in this process. She basks alot, normal activity and eating. I feed lettuce almost daily, pellets every other day, treats on occasion; apples, carrots, mealworms, dried shrimp (not all at once as a variety). Just curiuos or do we just wait, I see some of her scutes coming off and I do not aid them in coming off as I have read that is not good to do.
packfan1
 
Posts: 178
Joined: May 6, 2008

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:55 pm   

Let her shed on her own. It'll take a while, but she'll get there.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:50 pm   

just gotta let it happen. apple skins and blueberrys are good to help shedding. try taking it out in the sun. just be sure and provide shade and never leave it outside alone
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Aug 18, 2007
Location: Oklahoma

Post Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:00 am   

What I do is let them out of the tank and totally dry they walk around the house and it comes off all by itself work like a charm
Raising turtles is very rewarding..
1981camaroz28
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Apr 16, 2008
Location: South Philly

Post Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:57 pm   

with our weather in the 100's lately, I bought a stock tank that I fill with water, put a log in it and then take my turts outside for some sun. the log is concave so it offers a place to hid and shade. I stay out with them and then let them roam my back yard. Two out of three actually will wonder, one takes off like a rocket, and one just sits there. I only take them out for around a half an hour to 45 minutes and return them to the stock tanks and water to keep them cool.
packfan1
 
Posts: 178
Joined: May 6, 2008

Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:20 am   

I keep my turtles out for a couple hours a day in the house. They all seem to have there own spot where they will sleep or rest but they never stay together for some reason.
Raising turtles is very rewarding..
1981camaroz28
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Apr 16, 2008
Location: South Philly

Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:29 am   

rolo has ben trying to shed since i got her back in december but she just now recently stopped having issues with her shedding (she was having a hard time for some reason) and today when i was cleaning her tank i found a whole scute! lol i was so excited i had to tell the world lol.
~amy

Rolo- Female RES 3-4 years ~ lives away from home now :(

Jim- Fiance
Dein211
 
Posts: 723
Joined: Dec 17, 2007
Location: Cloquet, Minnesota

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:32 pm   

You can feed certain foods that will help the turtle shed faster. Also, make sure you have the proper lighting.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 236 guests