General Care Discussion :: Does a female res...

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:20 pm   Does a female res...

I have a RES thats seven years old and up untill recently I was sure it was a female. I've noticed that it has been displaying behavior that was strange, this morning I had the oppertunity to observe it fluttering it's front feet toward the tank heater. My turtle "Mika" has all the physical caricteristics of a female res, re: short claws in her front feet, flat belly, and her anus is located where her tail meets the shell, so I just am confused... Will a female RES flutter at a hopeful honey like a male or do I have a female RES with a gender recognition issue?
Lionstar
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Aug 1, 2009

Post Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:22 pm   

Yes, female RES will also flutter at potential mates or potential enemies.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:24 pm   

Ahhh....... ok that explains alot, thank you.
Lionstar
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Aug 1, 2009

Post Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:17 pm   

My male RES flutters at his tankmate quite often. The female will occasionally fluter at the same time. But, I have seen her flutter at him to "tell" him to backoff. She will also "nip" at him when he "bothers" her.
bigG
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Nov 28, 2008

Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:52 am   

My turtles use to do that but then it began to be agresive fighting and I had to seperate them.
1 Red Eared Slider- Izzy (female)
User avatar
corey7144
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Apr 15, 2008
Location: Wisconsin


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 253 guests