General Care Discussion :: Help! A RES found it's way into my pond!

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:31 pm   Help! A RES found it's way into my pond!

Hi everyone, This is my first post, I found you after doing research on what to do with a very large RES that found it's way into my pond. I called animal control and she was very nice and told me he would be fine if I left him in there but I need advice from real turtle people to be sure. First let me say my son REALLY wants to keep it, but only if we can give it a good home and make sure he is properly cared for. My pond is 200 gal and is about 2.5 feet deep at the lowest point. Until today the pump was broken and the water is not very clean but we are in the process of fixing the problem. The turtle is large about 10" from head to tail and has nasty algae all over it's shell with little red worm things on the algae. I would love to clean it but am not sure how to go about doing so. I have read that they eat different things including feeder fish and worms but how do I give it to them? Do I put vegetables on the rocks or put it into the water? Any help with how to care for him would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mikki
mikki19
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sep 21, 2009

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:55 pm   

Welcome. You'd more accurately size your new RES by measuring the carapace (top shell) down the spine from the scute behind the neck to the ones just above the tail. Measure straight; don't include the curve of the shell.

RES can only eat in water, so whatever you offer is better put in the pond.

Are you sure the turtle is a male (very long, spiky front claws, a broad tail with the cloaca/anal vent closer to the end of the tail than the shell)?

You can clean the algae off the shell with a soft brush (like a soft toothbrush) and/or a soft cloth. Be gentle; it may take a few tries to get most of it off. I don't know what the red things are. Can you post a pic?

You didn't say where you are, but are you in a climate where the turtle can live in the pond year-round?

As far as info on taking care of the turtle, do some reading on the site to learn what he needs. Then if you have questions, just ask.

One more thing---if, after you do some reading, you decide to keep the RES, and if he can be kept in the pond, it really should be made escape proof---if he just wandered into the pond, there's a good chance he'll eventually wander out.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:10 pm   

marisa pretty much covered all of it
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
User avatar
rsour24
 
Posts: 1678
Joined: Sep 7, 2009
Location: PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:03 pm   

If the turtle wandered in I would let it be and not even bother it, if it wants to stay let it until it decides to leave on it's own.
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:26 am   

It's possible the little red things could be a type of leech - in NZ here there are two kinds that are known to burrow into turtle shells.

A picture would help us heaps though ^^
User avatar
gwennie
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Aug 23, 2009
Location: Aotearoa

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:38 am   

Hi and thank you for all the responses. I live in the Dallas, Tx. area so our winters are fairly mild with some days and nights getting down into the freezing temps. I have read that they hibernate but I wasn't sure if my pond is deep enough for that at about 2 1/2 feet deep. I could get a pond heater if necessary. I will take some pictures of the worms today and post them also. The measurement I gave was just the shell at about 10 in and I have not picked him/her up yet to tell anything else about it like claws or tail. I want to get it cleaned up first. I did do a lot of reading about what it eats I just wasn't sure about how to go about offering it.
mikki19
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sep 21, 2009

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:24 pm   

I would say a turtle of this size and age is best left alone..gotta let nature take its course and figure its made good habitat decision so far - if your pond is no good it would move on :) Just my $0.02...
fanboy
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sep 12, 2009


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 74 guests