General Care Discussion :: HELP I need some proof 2 save my turtles

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:28 am   HELP I need some proof 2 save my turtles

Well, I was talking to my parents about my turtles and I told them I saw on this site that the turtles need a varitey in thier diet. They said the reptile gammare menu stuff is all they need. I tried to convince them they need vegatition too 2 benefit them through adulthood. My mom said that they only live a year anyway and all they need is a 20 gallon tank. I even printed out papers on turtle care from this site to prove I have done my research. Well they said that all they neeed is commerical food and she belives that the pet store guy is right.

Please help
3 RES: Terri, Turtlo, Mr.Turtles- Almost 2
1 Kitten*ish*: Fishstick
2 Cats: Ricky and Frenchy
1 Dog: Dixie
dixie8123
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Nov 10, 2009

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:46 am   

dix-23 I will not comment on your parents but I will comment on the two things most pet store employees know; that is, they know where the bathroom is and when pay day is. What they know about turtles would not fill a tea spoon in an ocean of water.
mikee
 
Posts: 1396
Joined: Nov 4, 2007

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:41 am   

God I had the same case as you 5 years back. Mom said my terrapins would die in a year's time. Best thing is just to argue with her. This is a battle you have to win if you're going to keep a turtle. Show her some links and the website. And yes I'm also not going to comment on your parents :D Good luck!
Red eared sliders are for life, not just the weekends.

The proud father of:
12 Red Eared Sliders:
4 adult females
4 adult males
2 young females
2 young males
aal
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Nov 21, 2009
Location: Singapore, South East Asia

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:21 am   

There are certain animals that a lot of people keep in captivity that don't live a long time... because they are kept in bad conditions. Hamsters cannot live past 3 or so, but most other animals tend to live a lot longer before dying of "old age" than a lot of people would assume from their own personal experience. I had guinea pigs over 6 years old and have heard of them reaching close to 10. Most people don't have hermit crabs/betta fish that last more than a few years. But some people that actually bothered to give them a proper environment have found that they can live over 10 years. That means that the ones that don't live more than a year were just slowly dying of a poor environment. Kind of sad.

Also, your mom DOES know that your (I assume) small turtle is the same species of the ones that you see in ponds that are as big as a plate? They don't grow that big in a year. Unless she just wants it to live a year (vs. the 20 or so) which just tells me you maybe didn't really think out the whole turtle thing that well... But I can tell that you really care so just keep fighting! It's your pet and you need to be its advocate. I have a feeling that if your turtle ever needs to go to the vet you're going to have a time with that as well. Maybe start a little rainy day fund just in case since I'm sure your mom wouldn't be too impressed with the exam fee costing more than your ($10? $15?) turtle.

So, yeah, good luck!

Then again, my mom still thinks that a certain point I should release my red ear slider into the wild. And I'm a biology major (with a special interest in ecology/conservation) that is now halfway through my first year of vet school. That means I both know that they are invasive exotics that damage ecosystems and that I care about animals and would never do that to my turtle. So, yeah, good luck with the convincing...
zuse
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Apr 23, 2006
Location: Stillwater, OK

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:19 am   

Guinea pigs can live up till the age of 20. Many children have this problem. They want an awesome habitat for their terrapins, but in the end parents think its a waste of time and money. In many parts of the world, there isn't a great ecosystem... Nowadays it doesn't matter if the ecosystem is damaged in most places. The thing is the turtle will die. Being fed with pellets, without hunting. Heaters that won't be available in harsh winters. And diseases that can be passed on. If you lose the debate with your parents I suggest you let the turtle go while its still young.
Red eared sliders are for life, not just the weekends.

The proud father of:
12 Red Eared Sliders:
4 adult females
4 adult males
2 young females
2 young males
aal
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Nov 21, 2009
Location: Singapore, South East Asia

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:43 pm   

Well, My mom says 2 get a job and im only 13, that is illegal 2 get a job
3 RES: Terri, Turtlo, Mr.Turtles- Almost 2
1 Kitten*ish*: Fishstick
2 Cats: Ricky and Frenchy
1 Dog: Dixie
dixie8123
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Nov 10, 2009

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:09 pm   

suggest that maybe you get a monthly allowance if you do all you r chores or something.. whenever i ned a little extra money i always ask the neighbors if they have any jobs for me to do.. mowing lawns,trimming hedges and cleanong house are what i usually do...
"Chuck Norris doesn't wear sunblock, the sun wears chuckblock"
ESG4Life
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Jan 15, 2009
Location: Kauai,Hawaii

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:49 pm   

dx-23 This is turning into a personal problem not a turtle care problem. If you like and want to care for your turtles you will find some legal way to earn some money to get your turtles what they need. At that age I raked and bagged leaves for my neighbor after school, home work and my own home chores. It can be done! Good Luck!
mikee
 
Posts: 1396
Joined: Nov 4, 2007

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:14 pm   

Yeah not everyone has friendly nice neighbours... Where I come from we've never really interacted with my neighbours. Some people already have helpers or people to clean lawns etc. But hey its worth a shot. Don't beg your mom till the point she throws your turts away though :?
Red eared sliders are for life, not just the weekends.

The proud father of:
12 Red Eared Sliders:
4 adult females
4 adult males
2 young females
2 young males
aal
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Nov 21, 2009
Location: Singapore, South East Asia

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:30 pm   

I was a babysitter at your age. You can make loads of money.
zuse
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Apr 23, 2006
Location: Stillwater, OK

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:59 pm   

maybe even offer to detail your parents car for like $15...
"Chuck Norris doesn't wear sunblock, the sun wears chuckblock"
ESG4Life
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Jan 15, 2009
Location: Kauai,Hawaii

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:57 am   

Come on guys not everyone has the same lifestyle. Dixie's situation here isn't simple. Its fighting a potential pet lovers greatest enemy, parents. He's 13. He attends school. He has a schedule. If his parents aren't interested in these creatures, you think they're gonna' allow him to go around babysitting for money? Babysitting an hour can earn you what, 10 bucks? He's talking about weekly food, a larger aquarium, UVB lights, basking area. I don't think he's going to get that money without his parent's consent. Hey I'm 14, I've kept terrapins for 9 years. I took me 8 years to get them to build me a 500 gallon outdoor pond. It can get stressful but don't give up if you love your terrapin :D
Red eared sliders are for life, not just the weekends.

The proud father of:
12 Red Eared Sliders:
4 adult females
4 adult males
2 young females
2 young males
aal
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Nov 21, 2009
Location: Singapore, South East Asia

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:17 am   

aal wrote:Come on guys not everyone has the same lifestyle. Dixie's situation here isn't simple. Its fighting a potential pet lovers greatest enemy, parents. He's 13. He attends school. He has a schedule. If his parents aren't interested in these creatures, you think they're gonna' allow him to go around babysitting for money? Babysitting an hour can earn you what, 10 bucks? He's talking about weekly food, a larger aquarium, UVB lights, basking area. I don't think he's going to get that money without his parent's consent. Hey I'm 14, I've kept terrapins for 9 years. I took me 8 years to get them to build me a 500 gallon outdoor pond. It can get stressful but don't give up if you love your terrapin :D


Well, that's true. But sometimes parents give into their child's begging for a pet by trying to get one that is short-lived/cheap/disposable. Most people understand that a dog is a commitment, requires medical care, and will live for about a decade. A lot of parents get guinea pigs/hamsters/turtles because they think they are fragile and will only last a few years and are inexpensive. And will appease the kid. They also don't want to be left caring for an animal in 5 years when the kid goes to college. That doesn't make it right, but that's the way it is.

Obviously I don't know anything about this particular situation, but that is a common trend. And a lot of families are in a bit of a crunch now and even with good jobs might not be up for the big expense of a proper turtle setup.

But this does just sound more like mom is just taking what the pet store owner says as gospel. But she should know how salespeople are... Think of car salesmen (ok, the negative stereotype for used car salesmen at least). They'll tell you anything if you'll take that car off the lot. And they're even happier if they can guarantee that you keep coming back to their dealership for supplies...

Christmas is coming up. I don't know what kind of price range of gifts you usually get, but you could ask for supplies this year. But that would mean sacrificing something else. (Video games? Books? Bike? Kids in my neighborhood get golf carts with stereos and rims... so I don't know what is normal for 13 year olds).

Where's dad in all this? Mine was all about helping me find the best heater and getting it working when I first got one. A fun new gadget, you know. Haha.

~A 23 year old
zuse
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Apr 23, 2006
Location: Stillwater, OK

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:36 am   

Agreed. This is a common case everywhere. Mom IS NOT taking the salesmen's words as gospel. SHE DOESN'T GIVE A **** about the terrapins duhhh... Took me a really long time till my mom swallowed all the information I've researched over the years. Now I am a successful RES breeder, with 4 adult males 4 adult females and 3 hatchlings! Keep on trying Dixie!
Red eared sliders are for life, not just the weekends.

The proud father of:
12 Red Eared Sliders:
4 adult females
4 adult males
2 young females
2 young males
aal
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Nov 21, 2009
Location: Singapore, South East Asia

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:04 pm   

EDIT: Totally disregard this for the situation above. I just saw in the sig that they own a ton of animals... But I typed all this out and don't want to erase it, haha (original poster: you obviously have a lot of animals and so you must have a vet. Call the receptionist/tech/vet and see if they can give you any recommendations or a care printout).

All families are different and place different values on different things. Some value traveling and that's what they do when they get the chance. Some would think that's a waste of money. Some have lots of animals so have extra expenses because of that, others think it's a waste of money. Some like to eat out a lot. Some individuals like to pamper themselves and get their hair/nails done frequently and even get help with their tan. The point is, some people are perfectly willing to pay a lot of money for different things because it makes them happy, is part of their values, and they think it is "worth" it.

Now, it stinks for people that are animal lovers that are born into a family where the parents have no interest in animals. The parents have their own priorities, and they will probably never be able to rationalize the cost/money involved in properly keeping certain animals.

That being said, I would kind of recommend to you in the future (and other kids) that you wait and get animals to when you are more self-sufficient. It's hard to change people. I'm happy for you aal that you eventually got yours to see your way!

An example from my life: I'm really looking for a set of guinea pigs to adopt. But I'm new to this area and haven't found anyone to care for them over Christmas so I'm waiting to get some until after break. (I'm flying home so I can't take them with me). I WILL have to board them or find a pet-sitter next year. My school also gives me 70 lbs of dog food a month (Hills/Purina) and a free 12 months of flea/tick/HW medication (that includes the exam as well). Unfortunately, I felt my best housing option this year was an apartment complex that doesn't allow dogs or cats. Next year I will try to find an apartment or house that does. You really have to think through getting a dog or cat and plan for the long term. Well, any pet (duh). But especially with dogs and cats because from then on when house hunting I'm always going to only live in those that do and pay a pet deposit.
zuse
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Apr 23, 2006
Location: Stillwater, OK

Next

Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 96 guests