General Care Discussion :: Getting baby RES's used thier new home

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:12 pm   Getting baby RES's used thier new home

My wife and i have 3 Res's. One is 4 years old and around 6 inches. She is used to us and begs wehenever someone first comes in the room. Our 2 little turts are naturally skittish. we have had them for 4 months or so and they are less skittish then when they arrived. I was wondering if putting a radio on near the tank during the day would help get them used to people being home, tv on and such. We are not home during the day, and when we are they hide alot, which i understand is natural and i know they will grow out of it i was just curious if anyone had tried something like this.
Thanks!
skitlerz
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sep 18, 2009

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:33 pm   

Turtles don't hear sounds like we do, they can "hear" (or sense, rather) vibrations. A radio will be different than a person walking around and will probably just create ambient noise.

I believe the only way to get your little RES used to you is to give it time and attention. It will recognize "the hand" as the giver of all things good, and the huge thing that moves around it's tank won't scare it anymore. I've had my little RES since August and he still leaps off the basking dock every time I enter the room.. just to come up and beg for food when I'm there. It's just instinct developed over millions of years by turtles to survive, but it will pass as they get older.

-Spike
Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there. Eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Oh, but one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back. -Heraclitus of Ephesus
User avatar
Spike 7.62
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Aug 23, 2009
Location: east coast USA

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:42 pm   

What spike said, my lil one Niko still jumps off the dock when I walk in or make alot of "vibrations" but when I walk up to the tank Niko couldnt be happier to swim up to the glass and beg for food lol

Speaking of which it's feeding time so I'll end this here

Good luck with your lil one ;-)
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:58 am   

Thanks for the replys. Like i said i realize it is thier nature to be like that. I am not concerned about them or anything. I do give them attention, and belive me they know me as the food giver. I have hand fed them and its really funny watching them pull the food from my fingers.
skitlerz
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sep 18, 2009

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:19 pm   

You do need to watch it with hand feedings, it doesnt hurt much but it does hurt a lil if they nip you. Niko got me real good one day I figured WTH, I pull my hand out to see if Niko stuck and he/she did lol. Suckers got one hell of a grip.
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:56 pm   

i hand feed my turtles and they have become very used to it. They swim to my hand when I put it in the tank. They used to jump when they were basking but now they usually open their eyes, see its me and close their eyes again. (very cute)
I have two female red ear sliders.
Chimpy - 5.5 inches
Chompy- 6.0 inches
Both were born about 7/2007
Got them -- 9/2007
User avatar
bradmeisel
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Nov 2, 2008
Location: Flushing, New York


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 157 guests