General Care Discussion :: Caramel Slider

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:24 am   Caramel Slider

I love my turtles. Is it worth the investment to buy a caramel slider? I am thinking about it. I just got my dispursement from college and I got some cash to spend. Laptop or caramel. Give me opinions!
rfjedi
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Jan 27, 2010

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:52 am   

albino caramel? I heard that albino have bad eyesight and cant withstand strong UV lights... Unless u are willing to hand feed it everyday until it dies. I think getting other turtles would be better
1 RES
1 convict
2 black neon tetra
3 Minnow
Lilsaint
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Nov 28, 2009
Location: Oak Park, CA USA

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:01 am   

Lilsaint albino turtles are only sensitive to light in the first few months of life. I have seen healthy adult albino turtles in the past who have not had a problem.

Iv"e never heard about a "caramel slider". Can you send us a link or a picture to what you are talking about.
2 red ear sliders, 2 green iguanas, 1 Chinese Water Dragon

I love Basketball And Reptiles
User avatar
freshprince2146
 
Posts: 794
Joined: Sep 28, 2009
Location: Queens,NY

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:34 pm   

I think this is a caramel slider. They are a rare type of slider.

http://www.turtlesale [not reputable].com/images/newpag ... ture_1.jpg
Check out my blog at: http://turtleaffairs.wordpress.com/
Tank #1:
~Charlie - 4 inch male RES
Tank #2:
~Charlotte - 6 inch female RES
worldpeace
 
Posts: 611
Joined: Jun 29, 2009
Location: Canada
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:07 pm   

hows the price compare with a rio grande? They are some awesome turtles
I'm pretty sure caramels and albinos are not the same thing.
6'x18''x20''100g 1 4in RES male 1 2in YBS Female
3 baby Peninsula Cooters
2 Senegal Bichirs
2 pictus cats
1 juvie bluegill
30 swordtails and guppies
10 ghost shrimp
User avatar
jay2487
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Dec 10, 2009
Location: Plant City Fl

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:03 pm   clarification

albino are not caramel. Albino are rare but caramel are super rare. Albino are 250$ and caramel are 1000-1300$. So laptop or caramel?
rfjedi
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Jan 27, 2010

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:26 pm   

well, hatchlings don't have the best survival rates so I would at least get a juvie if I was buying one, I'd hate to pay 1300 for something that could die in a week. There are so many awesome turtles out there to be paying that much for a super rare one. Did you look at the Rio Grandes? I would get a laptop and a rio grande. Or a mexican slider. That's just me though.
6'x18''x20''100g 1 4in RES male 1 2in YBS Female
3 baby Peninsula Cooters
2 Senegal Bichirs
2 pictus cats
1 juvie bluegill
30 swordtails and guppies
10 ghost shrimp
User avatar
jay2487
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Dec 10, 2009
Location: Plant City Fl

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:06 am   

I have 2 caramel pink sliders and some albinos sliders as well. The caramel pinks have perfect site and usually always do as they are not albino, just something different lol. If you want an awesome turtle I would pick up the caramel pink just don't buy it from turtlesale [not reputable].com They are the worst website in the world lol. They send sick, dead turtles all the time and are way way over prices. I only paid $350 for my caramels but got a good deal on them. You should be able to find some in the $400 to $500 range pretty easy. I would check out www.theturtlesource.com as they sell great quaily turtles and at much better prices then turtlesale [not reputable].com I have purchased a few turtles from them and all were 100% healthy and the service was great. Thats just my input on the situation

Just whatever you do, never buy a turtle from turtlesale [not reputable].com, they are the worst place you could even support for turtles.

BTW they keep to keeping the caramels to grow quick and stay healthy when they are young is to keep the water around 80-82 degrees and have a nice warm basking area for them and feed them 2 to 3 times a day. This will get them to grow quick and keep them from dying on you. I did that with mine and in 2 or 3 months they tripled in size and and super healthy.

Mitch
dardar52487
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Feb 5, 2010
Location: Detroit, MI

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:11 am   thanks

Ill take a look at that site u were mentioning turtlesource [not reputable] and the name of what u were trying to prevent was blocked out is gone so cant look at that. I will definitely look into all this tho thanks for info
rfjedi
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Jan 27, 2010

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:44 am   

rfjedi where are you located? Their might be future reptile expos in your area.
2 red ear sliders, 2 green iguanas, 1 Chinese Water Dragon

I love Basketball And Reptiles
User avatar
freshprince2146
 
Posts: 794
Joined: Sep 28, 2009
Location: Queens,NY

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:20 pm   

wow...that caramel slider is gorgeous...but they price is my 5months salary...geez.
My Baby Turtles:
Kame : My spoiled one (R.I.P)
Kroten : My beautiful RES
Papoe : My Emydura Schultzei (Pink Belly Short Necked Turtle)
Kurome : My Chinemys Revesii (Chinese Three Keeled Pond Turtle)
Underneath The Shell
Youtube
User avatar
novroz
 
Posts: 1092
Joined: Jul 2, 2008
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:38 pm   

I live in Phoenix Az. Next one is in November. Im waiting very anxiously. As well I just moved here in december so I missed the last one.
rfjedi
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Jan 27, 2010

Post Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:33 am   

http://www.theturtlesource.com/turtle_i ... =100200374

Here's turtle sources stock of them.
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
1 F Belize Slider 7" (Agamemnon)
My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/condorboy1/videos
User avatar
Linus
 
Posts: 1260
Joined: Jul 31, 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:52 am   

dardar52487 wrote:I have 2 caramel pink sliders and some albinos sliders as well. The caramel pinks have perfect site and usually always do as they are not albino, just something different lol. If you want an awesome turtle I would pick up the caramel pink just don't buy it from [name removed].com They are the worst website in the world lol. They send sick, dead turtles all the time and are way way over prices. I only paid $350 for my caramels but got a good deal on them. You should be able to find some in the $400 to $500 range pretty easy. I would check out www.theturtlesource.com as they sell great quaily turtles and at much better prices then [name removed].com I have purchased a few turtles from them and all were 100% healthy and the service was great. Thats just my input on the situation

Just whatever you do, never buy a turtle from [name removed].com, they are the worst place you could even support for turtles.

BTW they keep to keeping the caramels to grow quick and stay healthy when they are young is to keep the water around 80-82 degrees and have a nice warm basking area for them and feed them 2 to 3 times a day. This will get them to grow quick and keep them from dying on you. I did that with mine and in 2 or 3 months they tripled in size and and super healthy.

Mitch



I could make an educated guess as to who "name removed . com " is and I agree. My Pickle was a gift from a well meaning friend who bought him from that website. Pickle was very tiny and not at all well when I got him. He's lucky to be alive! But now he's a big health boy...could have just as easily gone the other way, it was just a lot of work and a little luck that saved him.
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
User avatar
imderanged
 
Posts: 1824
Joined: Dec 25, 2007

Post Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:12 pm   

ive seen one of those at the pet store

it was grown but had a really bad shell and was about 7 inches. looked female. and was 15 dollars. i thought it was a different breed of turtle and its eyes kinda scared me.
pets: 1 res

male: bought around a cold day in march 2008. stubborn yet also helpful
(RIP) Churro: ill miss you... (5 yrs. old)

"be strong, be brave, and livestrong"-my dad
User avatar
blackforces get you
 
Posts: 2657
Joined: May 28, 2008
Location: Bronx New York City

Next

Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 191 guests