General Care Discussion :: Anyone know alot about Snappers?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:49 pm   Anyone know alot about Snappers?

I am planning on getting a Common Snapping Turtle. They look pretty fun to have. I want to name him Tank if i get him lol, good name huh? :D

What I want to know is...

Are they good pets all round? Take out the danger of losing a finger and tell me how great of a pet they are. I see them on youtube and they eat mice like a Monitor...

What else do they usually eat? are the anywhere similar to a RES if you take out the deep water and all the active swimming of course :P
DarkGenoc1de on Playstation Network
SINI5T3R
 
Posts: 1570
Joined: Feb 26, 2010
Location: Casa Grande, Arizona
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:34 am   

Snappers are nearly all carnivorous. I heard they are very hard to take care of and you either need to put them in a good backyard with a pond or a very large tank because they do get pretty large. And you'll lose a finger if you plan on playing with it like a RES.
1 Mississippi Map Turtle 3.25'' (Landslide)
1 Ouachita Map Turtle 4.0'' (Hurricane)
The rest of the turtles have been adopted to good homes. :)
User avatar
n00bEmpty
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Jan 18, 2010

Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:38 am   

i bought a tank and found out they had a snapper in it that they caught had to take it to shelter and they killed it that thing was big and it almost bit my finger i say res are way better pets
vic021
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Oct 11, 2009
Location: san antonio texas

Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:52 am   

Yea snappers are recommended for more experienced turtle owners.
2 red ear sliders, 2 green iguanas, 1 Chinese Water Dragon

I love Basketball And Reptiles
User avatar
freshprince2146
 
Posts: 794
Joined: Sep 28, 2009
Location: Queens,NY

Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:51 am   

Snappers do not make good pets. They require large indoor enclosures once adult, and barely even move in the tank. Just sit at the bottom. I had one that was about 10" for a few months till i sold him.
I would take him in and out of his tank with a net to avoid getting bitten.
If you have an outdoor pond, then it def ok to have them
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ

Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:39 pm   

jozzep wrote:Snappers do not make good pets. They require large indoor enclosures once adult, and barely even move in the tank. Just sit at the bottom. I had one that was about 10" for a few months till i sold him.
I would take him in and out of his tank with a net to avoid getting bitten.
If you have an outdoor pond, then it def ok to have them



If there was no fencing of any sort around the out door pond would they get out and walk around?
DarkGenoc1de on Playstation Network
SINI5T3R
 
Posts: 1570
Joined: Feb 26, 2010
Location: Casa Grande, Arizona
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:33 pm   

They would get out and walk around and you might not see them again after that. Or find them in your neighbour's yard. :)
Check out my blog at: http://turtleaffairs.wordpress.com/
Tank #1:
~Charlie - 4 inch male RES
Tank #2:
~Charlotte - 6 inch female RES
worldpeace
 
Posts: 611
Joined: Jun 29, 2009
Location: Canada
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:46 pm   

SINI5T3R wrote:
jozzep wrote:Snappers do not make good pets. They require large indoor enclosures once adult, and barely even move in the tank. Just sit at the bottom. I had one that was about 10" for a few months till i sold him.
I would take him in and out of his tank with a net to avoid getting bitten.
If you have an outdoor pond, then it def ok to have them



If there was no fencing of any sort around the out door pond would they get out and walk around?


Def need to fence the pond or the yard itself making it escape/theft proof.
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 265 guests